Chapter 3

Tay falls behind as New takes in the design of his apartment. The building is one of his family's many properties. He tries to look at his living space through New's eyes. He has never really stopped to take note of some things before. The wide corridor from the door leads to an open-plan kitchen, living room, and dining area. Three bedrooms, including the masters, are closed behind separate walls. White walls rise into tall ceilings. The floors are marbled and shiny enough to behold one's reflection (a housekeeper comes by twice every week). His kitchen is untouched. He is a great cook but cooking for one person is too much of a hassle so he orders in every day. A little bar is situated next to the dining area, his own personal touch to the living room.

New is immediately drawn to it. He shoulders off his bag and pads barefoot to the bar. "Did you know I can make drinks?" He beams as he takes post behind the bar.

Tay might have read about his days as a bartender in a magazine interview. He shakes his head. "No, I didn't."

"Come closer, let me make you something."

Once again, Tay goes to him without a question. He leans his elbows on the bar and silently observes New as he reads the labels on alcoholic drinks. "You have all the good stuff."

Tay shrugs as if to say 'did you expect anything less?'

New works with surgical precision, brows drawn and sinful tongue peeking out of his teeth as he measures the drinks with a jigger. Tay cannot muster enough guilt for letting his eyes dawdle on New's lips. The actor-turned bartender finishes off his show with a masterful turn of his cocktail shaker and pours the brown liquid into the first glass he can reach.

"Try it," he urges.

Tay wraps his fingers around the whiskey glass and lifts it to his lips. He holds New's gaze as he takes a sip. The drink glides easily down his throat. "I like it." And to prove that he really does, he gulps everything down much to New's delight.

"You flatterer."

"Let me make you a drink." Tay starts to rise to join New behind the bar. "I'm quite the mixer myself too."

"I don't drink alcohol."

The declaration grinds Tay to a halt. He feels his brows fold. "You don't?"

"You look like I just said I kick cats."

"Why don't you drink?"

He shrugs. "My body's a temple. I can't poison it." Tay opens his mouth to ask another question but New speaks again. "But—I do dabble in a bit of marijuana. You do know marijuana don't you?" He asks when Tay's frown goes deeper. Who is this man? "Marijuana, weed, the devil's grass?" he swings his wrists around as he lists the names. "Some call it Mary Jane, cannabis, ganga, pot—,"

"Enough enough. I know what marijuana is. So you won't drink but you will smoke?" New shrugs again. "How is that any different?"

"Weed is a natural herb. It's like medicine."

"That's a dumb argument." Tay says and New laughs like he knows it is. The alcohol in Tay's system emboldens him to add, "It's the dumbest argument I've ever heard."

New's eyes are nonexistent with laughter. "You're only saying that because you've never tried it."

"Who said I haven't?"

"Ohhh young master." The honorific rolls off his tongue in a teasing manner, accompanied by a wiggle of his brows.

"I was young once."

New rolls his eyes. "And what? Now you're old? You're only 30." He rounds the bar and skips to his abandoned bag on the floor. He opens the side zip and pulls out two perfectly rolled-out blunts. Holds them up like a trophy. "Wanna try again?"