Chapter 1

Tay knew he was doomed from the moment New Thitipoom walked into his conference room.

New is all ivory skin, long legs, lean muscles, and bright eyes. His broad shoulders narrow into a slim waist compassed by a leather belt that holds a black button up shirt in fitted black pants. He lifts lithe fingers in a semi-wave as he occupies a chair next to his manager, Khun Jack Theeraphong, one long leg folding over the other.

He seems the type to be wholly aware of his good looks and while Tay loves confidence in a person, on New, it feels more like a display and this rubs Tay off the wrong way. As the meeting progresses, he starts to wonder if he made the wrong decision by inviting New Thitipoom Techaapaikhun into his world.

About a month ago, the returns from the Looper plaza, one of the Vihokratanas numerous businesses plunged by a good 20% while competitors thrived. Through nights of brainstorming and comparing statistics, the best minds of the Vihokratana conglomerate concluded that the plaza had to jump on the celebrity hype train to bring more awareness to their business. Gone are the days where they could depend solely on good ol' loyalty to drive the business. It appeared that Tay's smiling face on billboards across the city was not enough to profit their business anymore.

After more careful deliberation, the board decided on actor New Thitipoom Techaapaikhun. New is popular amongst almost all demographics with his latest shows topping viewer lists and old ones still making their rounds on social media. He has more than two million Instagram followers, knows how to command an audience and has a charming smile.

However, the smile has yet to make an appearance as New hasn't moved his lips since he sashayed into the conference room. The model/actor has barely said a word throughout the meeting. He seems more interested in his phone than anything, only shrugging a few times and nodding the two times their gazes met. Perhaps his smile is only for the cameras. It's a good thing New is here solely for the cameras then, Tay thinks to himself.

Despite his musings, Tay cannot stop his eyes from straying toward the actor. He pries them away only to return in a few seconds, each time focusing on something different. Like the cut of his jaw, the curve of his lips, or the sharpness of his nose. This time, his traitorous eyes have chosen to focus on the thick lock of hair that has fallen over New's eyes as he thumbs through his phone.

"Khun Thitipoom, do you have anything to add?" Tay asks. The actor doesn't look up from his phone. "Khun Thitipoom," he repeats firmly, hoping his irritation is not bleeding through his voice. He must have failed as the two directors present and P'Jack shift uncomfortably in their seats.

New on the other hand takes his sweet time lifting his head. "Yes?" He looks around for a moment then his round eyes fall on Tay, narrowing in confusion. "Did you say something?"

Tay keeps his temper in check. "I asked if you had any questions or suggestions."

New scans the room again and then his pink lips stretch into a smile. "Nope. Everything is okay—," the smile on his lips broadens. "Boss."

Fuck! Tay is suddenly reminded of why New is here in his conference room. He has never seen a smile so beautiful. Up close, that is. He saw this very smile on billboards, on sunscreen boxes, on cat food, and on LED screens on the sidewalks. When he allowed himself some pleasures like TV serials, he would see that smile. Nobody has to know that he makes it a point to be home at 8 pm every Saturday to catch that smile on his TV screen or that he championed the decision to employ New.

"Just my name will suffice." Tay swallows thickly but his saliva does nothing to lubricate his dry throat. Fortunately, his voice remains steady. It would take more than a smile from New to undo years of training. He has been coached from the ripe age of 7 to remain stoic even in the most trying situations. "If you don't have anything more to add, then I guess we'll call it a day." He nods to his directors who rise and leave after a bow.