Chapter 41 : Good News for once

Catras POV:

I awoke with a horrible muscle cramp, silently thanking the sleeping beauty beside me for it in my mind while I got up and read my messages. To my surprise, there was some good news for once, a message from Dr. Rose, my Moms oncologist, telling me that the biopsy had come back negative and that she had taken a turn for the better. Her cancer was now on the path of being in full remission but it was still too soon to tell if it would end up that way, needing her to beat the 4 year average to be certain of it. She was now scheduled to be released in a week from now, should this course continue and I told her I would swing by later today before getting breakfast going, which consisted of eggs, bagels that Melog had gotten us and cereal, when Adora walked into the Kitchen with a huge yawn.

"Moning" she mumbled

"Morning...pff, you look... pretty" I said, holding back my laughter from seeing the worst bed hair I ever saw. I couldn't have made more of a mess out of it if I tried.

"Huh?"

"Go brush your teeth" I giggled and Adora listened, still half asleep.

"WHAT THE FUCK?" I heard shouting from the bathroom a few seconds later "I need a shower.." she muttered, clearly embarrassed.

After the said shower and her sitting down with a satisfied smile and her Hair hanging loose down to her shoulders for a change, we began to eat.

"So... when are they gonna visit?" Adora asked, putting enough emphasis on "they" to make me understand she meant Amber and the band.

"Tomorrow evening, if that's okay with you"

"Sure, whatever" she answered with a shrug, clearly bothered

"Sorry but we had to do this quickly before our Singer goes missing again and Lonnie was so hyped that she wanted to party before Lauren had to explain that working adults can't afford to do so"

"How does Lonnie manage to survive anyway? What's her job?"

"She's... a leech" I admitted with an eyeroll "She used to be much worse though, dating like 7 or 8 people without them knowing of each other and using them for food and shelter"

"What changed?" Adora asked, making a bowl of Cereal

"Rogelio. He made her pick to either make things clear or he'd tell them all. Apparently, Lon was so impressed that the mute was the one that told her in the clearest terms, she told all the others and ended up with him alone with a black eye and a bruised ego" I explained while making my own bowl of Cereal

"But monogamy ain't her thi... Did you just add the milk first?" Adora suddenly asked, staring at my bowl with a horrified expression.

"Huh? Yeah?"

"You can't do that! What are you? A psychopath?"

"What does it matter?" I shrugged

"IT MATTERS!... Damn, thats a dealbreaker, Catra, I think we should see other people" she said, clearly as a joke, yet weirdly upset.

"Wow... okay, harsh... point taken"

"It's not so hard to understand. Bowl, Cereal, Milk in that order. Milk first is ONLY permissible when you want a second bowl... that's just common knowledge" she elaborated with wildly flailing hand motions, making me eye roll so hard it nearly hurt.

"... if you say so, weirdo..."

In that moment, both of us just sitting here, eating breakfast, talking about entirely meaningless shit and still enjoying it anyway, a feeling somewhat alien to me, came into focus in my mind. Somewhat reminiscent of the feeling I knew from Childhood, when Dad was still with us and my parents smiled at me but far more intense and real for lack of a better term "Is this what it feels like to be with someone you see as Family? It's been so long that I forgot what that feels like, even though Scorpia always wanted me to feel this way...." I thought and cleared my throat when I felt tears well up in my eyes "A-anyway... Lonnie now only dates people that are aware of her personality and partners"