part 41 - shattered

Thursday July 24, 2025

TW: physical abuse

Paige POV

The golden evening light spilled across the kitchen as Kiera and I sat at the table, laptops open, scrolling through wedding venues. It felt surreal, planning our future together—just the two of us, imagining our perfect day. We were lost in each other, discussing beaches and sunsets, the kind of dreamy things you'd expect when planning a wedding.

"What do you think about this one?" Kiera asked, leaning closer, her arm brushing against mine as she showed me a picture of a beautiful coastal venue.

I smiled softly. "It's gorgeous. I can already picture us there, saying our vows."

She grinned, her eyes shining with excitement. "Me too. Something intimate and simple, with just our closest friends."

We hadn't gotten too far into planning yet, but every detail felt more exciting than the last. I could tell that Kiera was happy—really happy—and it made my heart swell just watching her light up.

Then, a sudden knock on the door broke the peace. Kiera tensed beside me, her brows furrowing. "Did you invite anyone over?"

I shook my head, standing up from the table. "No... maybe a neighbor?"

I headed to the door, opening it casually. The moment I saw who was standing there, my stomach dropped. It was Aurora and Aaron Parker—Kiera's parents. Their expressions were a strange mix of disapproval and cold determination. They hadn't come for a casual visit.

"Kiera," Aurora's voice was stiff as she called out to her daughter, her eyes avoiding me entirely. "We need to talk."

Kiera stepped forward from the kitchen, her face immediately paling. "Mom? Dad? What are you doing here?"

"We flew in from Colorado," Aaron replied, his voice hard and clipped. "We need to have a serious conversation about the decisions you've been making."

They pushed past me into the apartment without waiting for an invitation, leaving Kiera and me standing frozen by the door.

"What is this?" Kiera asked, her voice shaky but growing in volume. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"Because we didn't think you'd let us," Aurora replied, turning to face her daughter. Her gaze was sharp, filled with a mixture of disappointment and anger. "You've been avoiding us for months."

Kiera swallowed hard, her hands gripping the back of one of the kitchen chairs. "I haven't been avoiding you. I've been waiting for you to reach out since—"

"Since what? Since we found out through social media that our daughter is in a relationship with another woman?" Aurora snapped, her voice rising. "You didn't even have the decency to tell us yourself. We had to see the pictures online like everyone else."

The air in the room turned thick with tension. Kiera flinched at her mother's words, but I could see her trying to hold it together. She glanced at me for support, and I stepped closer, standing by her side.

"I didn't want you to find out that way," Kiera said, her voice soft but firm. "But I didn't know how to tell you. I knew you wouldn't—"

"Wouldn't approve?" Aaron cut her off, his voice harsh. "You're damn right we don't approve. This goes against everything we raised you to believe, Kiera. Everything."

My chest tightened as I saw the hurt flash across Kiera's face. I wanted to defend her, to tell her parents that they were wrong—that love was love—but I held back, letting Kiera lead the conversation.

"This is who I am," Kiera said, her voice trembling but resolute. "I'm in love with Paige, and I'm not going to hide that from anyone, not anymore."

Aurora shook her head, crossing her arms tightly. "You think love excuses sin? You think you can just ignore everything we've taught you—everything that's in the Bible?"

"We want you to follow the right path," Aaron said, stepping forward, his voice thick with frustration. "You're throwing away everything—for her. For something that isn't natural."

I could feel my blood boiling at his words, my fists clenching at my sides. But before I could say anything, Kiera spoke again, her voice growing stronger. "Paige and I are getting married. And whether you're a part of that or not is up to you."

Aaron's eyes darkened at those words. He took a step forward, his face contorting with anger. "Married?" he spat, his voice low and menacing. "You've lost your damn mind."

Kiera opened her mouth to respond, but before she could say anything, Aaron's hand shot out and slapped her across the face.

The sound of the slap echoed through the room, followed by a stunned silence. Kiera stumbled back, holding her cheek, her eyes wide with shock and pain.

I saw red. Without thinking, I lunged at Aaron, shoving him back with everything I had. "What the hell is wrong with you?!" I shouted, my voice shaking with rage.

He barely had time to react before I was on him, pushing him against the wall. His eyes widened in surprise, but then he pushed back, his fists raised. We collided, the force of our bodies crashing into the small living room furniture. I felt his fist connect with my side, but I didn't care. I swung back, aiming for his jaw.

"Paige, stop!" Kiera's voice cut through the chaos, but I was too far gone to listen. I couldn't let him get away with hurting her.

Aaron grabbed my arm, trying to twist it, but I kicked his knee, throwing him off balance. He grunted in pain but came back at me with another swing. I dodged it, fury burning in my chest.

"Kiera, we're leaving," Aurora said in a shaky voice, grabbing her husband's arm. "We'll pray for you. But we can't support this."

Without another word, they turned and stormed out of the apartment, the door slamming shut behind them.

I stood there, chest heaving, my fists still clenched, adrenaline surging through my veins. Slowly, I turned to Kiera, who was standing there, frozen, tears streaming down her face. The red mark from the slap still bright on her cheek.

I rushed to her, pulling her into my arms, my heart breaking at the sight of her pain. "I'm so sorry, Kiera," I whispered, holding her tight as she sobbed against my chest. "I should've—"

"It's not your fault," she choked out, shaking her head. "None of this is your fault."

I held her tighter, kissing the top of her head. "They'll never accept us, will they?"

She shook her head, her voice barely above a whisper. "I thought maybe they'd come around... but after this..." Her voice broke, and she buried her face in my shoulder.

"We don't need their approval," I murmured, stroking her hair. "I love you, Kiera. And no matter what happens, I'll always be here."

She nodded against me, her tears slowly subsiding. We stood there, wrapped in each other, trying to find comfort in the wreckage her parents had left behind.

a/n - "I dont know why I am the way I am" - how ive felt my entire life

a/n - when someone tells me that im a horrible person but i have prayed i could be a different person since I was in fifth grade

a/n - anyway this is sad sorry