part 31 - mending fences

Sunday April 27, 2025

Paige POV

The locker room buzzes with excitement, a mix of nervous energy and the thrill of what's about to happen. I'm sitting on a bench between Hailey and Emily, feeling like a kid on Christmas morning as we all lace up our sneakers. The smell of fresh jerseys and the quiet clatter of gear fills the air, giving everything that crisp, new-season vibe.

"Yo, this place is legit," Emily says, tossing her towel into her locker and grinning. She's always got that calm, collected thing going on, even though I know she's feeling the same adrenaline rush. Hailey , on the other hand, is practically bouncing in her seat. Her excitement is contagious, making me feel less jittery, like we're all in this together.

I look up and spot my uniform hanging neatly in my locker, the deep purple catching the light just right. It's perfect. My number—5—is stitched on the back in bold white letters, the fabric smooth beneath my fingertips as I pull it down and run my hands over it. This is the moment I've been waiting for, and everything feels surreal.

"Damn, this color is fire," I say, grinning as I slip the jersey over my head. The purple pops against my skin, and the shorts hug my hips just right, not too tight, not too loose. I take a moment to admire the fit in the mirror—my 'purple Paige purple' vibes are in full effect. It's like the universe knew exactly what color I needed to feel completely in my element today.

Emily laughs, adjusting her jersey in the mirror next to me. "You and purple, man. It's like they knew it was your thing."

"Right?" I say, spinning around to show off the full uniform. "Look at this. We're out here serving looks and buckets."

Hailey snorts, shaking her head. "I'm just hoping I don't trip over my own feet out there. This feels like the first day of school."

I nod, understanding what she means. There's a mix of excitement and anxiety bubbling under the surface, that same feeling I used to get when I was just starting out, but with higher stakes. It's not just about proving myself anymore—it's about showing everyone that I'm ready to take this step, to show the world I belong here.

I sit down, tying my shoes tightly, making sure everything is just right. My hands tremble for a second, but I take a deep breath. Emily gives me a nudge with her elbow, her expression reassuring. "You good?"

I nod, exhaling slowly. "Yeah. Just... big day, you know?"

"We got this," she says, her voice calm and steady. "Just like old times."

Except it's not like old times. This is bigger. But somehow, hearing her say that makes everything feel more manageable.

Hailey grins. "Let's go kill it out there, huh?"

I stand, taking one last look at myself in the mirror. The purple jersey, the familiar number on my back, the weight of what today means—it's all clicking into place. I flash a grin at Hailey and Emily, then roll my shoulders back, shaking out the last bit of nerves. This is it. Time to take the first step toward everything I've worked for.

"Let's go," I say, my voice steady. "Time to make them remember my name."

I put on my Bueckers Elite shoes, the ones that helped me and the team win the championship in my fifth year of college. These shoes have seen it all—nail-biting finishes, championships, and moments I'll never forget. Now, they're ready for a new journey as I lace them up tighter, making sure everything feels just right. I take a deep breath and tighten my ponytail, my heart racing with anticipation.