part 42 - the breaking point

Saturday August 2, 2025

Kiera POV

It feels like forever since there's been a home game. With my internship keeping me chained to the office, I haven't been able to travel to the away games nearly as much as I would've liked. But nothing could stop me from being here today. I've made it to every single home game this season, and I wasn't about to break that streak.

The energy in the arena buzzes like electricity, the anticipation thick in the air. The Sky are a tough team. Everyone knows that. Their physicality and intensity have earned them a reputation, but there's something different about tonight. From the moment the teams took the court, I could feel it — the way they were eyeing Paige. There's a target on her back.

I sit on the edge of my seat, my heart racing every time she touches the ball. Paige is a force, moving with a precision and grace that still takes my breath away. She weaves through defenders, makes impossible passes, and sinks deep shots like it's second nature. The crowd roars with every play, but I can't shake the uneasy feeling gnawing at me.

The Sky aren't playing fair. They're rough, too rough, and every time Paige goes up for a layup or cuts through the defense, I notice the extra elbow, the shove that comes just a bit too late. She's taking hit after hit, and the referees? They seem to have swallowed their whistles tonight.

By halftime, the score is tight, but Paige looks worn. She's breathing heavily, sweat pouring down her face as she heads to the bench. I can see it in her eyes — the frustration, the exhaustion. She's carrying so much weight on her shoulders, and the Sky know it.

"They're going after her," I mutter under my breath, my knuckles white from gripping the edge of my seat. My stomach twists with every second that ticks by on the clock.

As the second half begins, the Sky's game plan becomes even clearer. They're doubling her, bodying her every chance they get, and it's starting to take its toll. Paige is tough, no doubt about it, but even the toughest players can only take so much.

With five minutes left in the fourth quarter, the game is still neck-and-neck. Paige gets the ball at the top of the key, eyes locked on the basket. She fakes right, drives left, splitting two defenders. The crowd erupts as she makes her way toward the hoop.

But then it happens.

As she leaps for a layup, Chennedy Carter crashes into her midair, sending her off balance. Paige lands awkwardly, her ankle twisting beneath her as she crumples to the floor.

Time slows. The sound of the crowd fades into a dull roar as my heart stops in my chest. I'm on my feet before I even realize it, my hands trembling.

"Paige!" I scream, my voice lost in the chaos.

She doesn't get up.

Paige POV