part 45 - fractured

Monday August 25, 2025

Kiera POV

I watched Paige go through her physical therapy exercises, her face tight with frustration. She had been at this for weeks, and while she was getting stronger, it was never fast enough for her. Paige had always held herself to impossible standards, and recovery was no exception.

The physical therapist counted down, "Three... two... one... good job, Paige." But I could see it—her shoulders slumping, the tension in her jaw. She didn't feel like it was enough, despite the therapist's words.

"That's it for today. You're making good progress," the therapist added, packing up his equipment.

Paige wiped the sweat from her forehead, but her expression stayed sharp, as if she was fighting off her disappointment. I could sense what was coming—this pent-up frustration she'd been carrying around, that impatience that never left her alone. She was desperate to be back to herself, to feel normal again. Anything less felt like failure.

I moved closer, trying to ease the tension between us. "You're doing great, pretty girl," I said softly, leaning down to kiss her head.

She didn't look up, her eyes fixed on her leg like it was betraying her. "Am I?" Her voice was tight, almost bitter.

I hesitated. "Yeah, you are. It just takes time—"

"Time," she interrupted, her tone bitter. She shifted forward in her seat and reached for her crutches. Standing up, she winced, bracing herself against them. "I'm sick of hearing that. 'Be patient, you're doing great,'" she mimicked. "But I'm not! I should be further along by now. I should—"

"Paige," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "You know this doesn't happen overnight."

She shook her head, pacing awkwardly on her crutches, her movements tense and agitated. "You don't get it. Every day I'm stuck like this, I fall further behind. Every day I'm not on the court, I lose something."

I frowned. "That's not true. You'll come back stronger—"

"When?" she snapped, her frustration spilling over. "When? Because right now, it feels like I'm getting nowhere. And you just keep telling me the same thing. What if I don't get back to where I was? What if—"

"You will," I said firmly, stepping in front of her to stop her pacing. I reached out to touch her arm, but she pulled away, gripping her crutches tightly.

She sighed heavily, her anger still simmering. "You don't understand," she said quietly. "You're not the one stuck like this."

The words stung, though I knew they weren't meant to hurt. "I might not be going through exactly what you are," I said softly, "but I'm here, every step of the way."

For a moment, she looked at me, her anger flickering. Then she looked away again, her hands tightening around the crutches. "I just... I don't want to let everyone down."

I stepped closer, feeling the tension hang between us. There were no words to make this easier for her, no promise that could take away the weight she was carrying. All I could do was stay, and hope she'd let me in when she was ready.

Paige POV

The café was buzzing, Emily and Hailey laughing across from me, their voices bright and easy. I smiled when they did, nodding like I was following along, but all I could think about was the weight in my leg and how the crutches leaning against the table felt like chains, holding me back from everything I was supposed to be doing.

"Paige? You with us?" Emily's voice snapped me out of my thoughts, her hand waving in front of my face.

I blinked and forced a small smile. "Yeah, sorry. Just zoned out for a second."

Hailey gave me a knowing look. "You sure you're okay? You seem... different."

I shrugged, my voice lighter than I felt. "Yeah, just tired. It's been a long day." It was easier to say that than admit the truth—that everything felt wrong. That every step, every movement, reminded me of how far I had to go and how much I'd already lost.

Emily frowned, glancing at my crutches. "I can't even imagine going through what you're going through. I'd be losing it."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, trying to play it off. "Oh, trust me, I'm losing it," I said with a weak laugh, though I wasn't sure if they could hear the hollowness behind it. "But, you know, I'm making crutches look good, right?" I gestured to them with a forced grin, like it was some kind of joke, but it just felt empty. I hated that I had to rely on them.

They both smiled, but I could feel the sympathy, the pity, and it made me sick. I didn't want their sympathy. I didn't want to be the girl everyone felt sorry for.

"You're going to come back stronger," Hailey said, her voice filled with the kind of certainty I couldn't bring myself to feel. "You always do."

I nodded, but inside I just felt... numb. "Yeah, just a matter of time, right?" I muttered, staring down at my drink. Time. Everyone kept saying that like it was supposed to make me feel better, like I hadn't already lost so much time just sitting here, stuck while everyone else moved forward without me.

Emily tried to brighten the mood. "You're still coming to the game Friday, right? It's not the same without you."

I hesitated, the thought of sitting in the stands, watching, making my chest tighten. "Yeah, of course," I lied. "Wouldn't miss it." But the truth was, watching them out there would only remind me of what I couldn't do. What I might not be able to do again. I was terrified of how that would feel.

Hailey smiled, relieved. "Good. We need you there."

I nodded, but all I could feel was this growing distance between me and them. Between me and everything I used to love. The more they talked about basketball, the more I felt like I was slipping away from it, like I was disappearing.

When we stood up to leave, I fumbled with my crutches, the familiar ache in my leg reminding me that nothing was the same anymore. Emily and Hailey exchanged a glance, like they wanted to help, but I waved them off.

"I've got it," I said quickly, forcing a smile. "I'm basically a pro with these now." The joke felt like a lie. I hated the way they looked at me—like I was fragile. I hated that I needed help with something as simple as standing up.

They smiled, said goodbye, and as they walked away, I was left there, staring at the empty chair. I should've felt something—hope, determination, anything. But all I felt was this heavy, suffocating weight pressing down on me. Like no matter how hard I tried, I was losing myself, piece by piece, to this injury.

I wanted to believe I'd bounce back, that I'd be strong again, but the truth was... I didn't know if I could. And that scared me more than anything.

a/n - LIBERTY

a/n - paiges birthday yesterdayyyy

a/n - last sad chapter for this storyline guys get excited