And Yet I still Reach for You

How many times have you saved my life?

How many times have I let you save my life?

In all that time, had I ever wondered?

Had I wished I had wondered more...

If you had needed me to save you as well.

"I'll be ending this recording now, Ms. Raiden."

"Mmm."

Sitting in her armchair in the middle of an empty room, save for the small desk placed in front of her, Durandal sat in silence. Hearing the last few words of the recording that lightly echoed from her phone placed on the desk, the sudden cut off indicating the end of the conversation became all the more pronounced in an otherwise quiet room.

Her arms crossed as she stared at the screen of her phone, the replay button displayed brightly as if tempting her to replay it once more. Instead, she merely sighed, leaning her head onto the soft cushion of her armchair as she closed her eyes.

She had listened and relistened to this same audio track over and over since she first woke up some time around in the evening. She had to admit that she didn't think she would oversleep for this long -a sign of how truly exhausted her body was- but it had helped to clear her mind a bit more. She was glad that Rita had helped her with that.

With that aside however, Durandal was certain of one thing now.

That being that the house she had been invited into by Raiden Mei, was not the place she was looking for. In another word, that woman hadn't lived inside that house for a good while now, and instead had been living somewhere else. Most likely the same place where she had kept her little sister, Kiana.

The wrong directions, the fumbling of the keys, and most of all, the dust that covered the entire place all but pointed to that one conclusion for her. Durandal nodded her head slightly at that, but a question now surfaced inside her mind.

If Raiden Mei no longer lived in that house, where could she be staying now? And subsequently, where is she keeping Kiana?

That question was the very reason why Durandal had decided to listen back on the conversation the two had last night, repeating it as if she was looping a video. It was futile however, she knew that it wouldn't give her any more insights than she already had.

It was all because of what happened last night between them, an event that still lingered in her mind even now.

That woman cried. She cried over the death of someone she likely caused herself and made it look like it was a suicide.

And yet, for the life of her, Durandal can't even begin to believe for one second that those tears were merely a bluff to get her to lower her guard or to cast suspicion off of herself. No, she wished it would have been that easy.

The truth was however, those tears were real; far too real.

There was not a spark of deception or intentions behind them, almost as if the woman herself didn't expect she would break down like that, especially in front of an officer that was clearly casting suspicion onto her. And yet she did, and now Durandal truly had no idea what to make of it.

Perhaps that woman was just psychotic. Perhaps she simply had lost her marbles or had dissociated herself entirely from the murder that she can't even begin to understand that she committed it. Any of that she would have accepted fully as the answer.

But she knew better. She had seen what those that suffered or bore those kinds of traits behave like. She had seen it many times by now.

Mei was nothing like them, not even close.