The Entangling Webs of Destinies and Fates

Fluorescent lights lit up the broad room, its radiance illuminating the air. The low hum of the ACs echo through the many narrow hallways, its walls separated into distinct office cubes. Light footsteps tread from many directions, each heading to its own destination. Along came whispers and mutters, conversations and banters between one person to another, all melding into the sounds of machinery that ran in the background.

At the far corner of the office room lay a door which led to another room. Its interior and size are much different than the rest, built only for the use of one person, who was sitting firmly in their chair.

Bronya Zaychik.

Her eyes focused on her monitor, pupils darting repeatedly from side to side. Her hands laid fully on her keyboard as her fingers glided through each key, their respective letters appearing onto the screen. Moving her palm to the mouse, she clicked onto one of the results that came up, her gaze unblinking.

Next to her table, a clock began to click rhythmically, its handle passing through each node engraved onto its surface. Soon, the hour handle turns, marking the passing of an hour. It was then that the endless clicking noises stopped.

Bronya's hands remained still, its fingers floating just above the keyboard. She slowly slumped them to the table as her body began to drift backwards. Leaning onto her armchair, her head pointed upwards as she looked onto the ceiling in silence.

She then lets out a long sigh before throwing her head back down. Turning her eyes to a nearby notepad, Bronya reaches into her shirt pocket, pulling out a blue point pen. She began to scribble onto the empty note sheet before ripping it off, holding it up to her eyes.

On it were words and numbers, all orderly laid out in a line. Bronya mumbled to herself that address, making sure that it was correct before putting it away into her pocket.

"I'll head over there today to see for myself." She muttered, gaze fixated onto a newspaper scattered on her desk. It's front page imprinted with red colored words:

Kiana Kaslana's Mysterious Disappearance

"What are you staring at?"

"WAH-!"

Bronya yelps, her body jerks to the side of her chair as she snaps her eyes towards the voice. Next to her stood a tall woman, purple adorned their stature as it stretched all the way down to their waist. Her eyes gaze curiously at Bronya, her glasses tilting downwards as she does so.

Bronya breathes a sigh, her shoulders slumped as she remarks to her friend.

"Didn't I tell you to knock last time, Mei!"

"I did though?" Mei gave a befuddled look. "But I guess you didn't hear it with how deep in thought you seemed."

"And so you let yourself in just casually like that?"

"Naturally." Mei responds, a confident smile on her face. That only made Bronya sigh again however.

Mei turned her gaze to the desk, before reaching her hand to grab one of the newspapers laying around. Her eyes glaze through the front page of the paper, tilting her head slightly as she mutters.

"How curious, is reading up old news a new hobby for you?"

"Uuhh, yeah, I guess so."

"You guess so?"

"I only really look at the interesting ones," Bronya waved her hand in front of her mouth from side to side as she spoke. "The rest are too boring to waste my time on."