Confrontation and Comfort

The sun began to set at the end of the horizon, its orange hue illuminating the sky for just a brief longer, tainting the world in its warmth. Sporadic streetlights scattered along the empty street road, occasionally flickering on and off as the world grew quieter under the sun's departure.

Durandal walked along the empty path, her eyes glanced towards the myriad of familiar looking houses all lined together in rows. The neighborhood was quiet, the streets accompanied only by her footsteps and hers alone; a sign of the night that was fast approaching.

Just then, her phone buzzes, humming a familiar tune as she reaches into her pocket. Taking it out as flickers the screen awake, a single word flashing across the bright blue surface as she tapped at it, before pressing it against her ear.

"What is it, Rita?" Her voice lightly echoed, the only noise accompanying it were the slow, rhythmic steps coming from her own two feet.

[Evening, Lady Durandal. I was able to procure some personal records relating to that person you had informed me about,] the woman on the other side calmly spoke. There was a sense of gracefulness in her voice, a soothing elegance to it that helps to calm even the most nervous of souls, including Durandals.

Her eyes slightly narrowed at the woman's words, her voice growing lower as she says:

"Please continue."

An audible hum was heard through the speaker, before that elegant voice began to speak.

[By looking through the database of all residents currently living in Nagazora city, we were able to find someone who most closely resembled the description described in the journal; being that of a woman going by the name of Raiden Mei.]

"Mei..." Durandal muttered under her breath, before shaking her head gently, her mind refocusing on the topic at hand.

[From the earliest records of her dating back at the start of this year, she was born on April 13th, 1995, currently twenty-five, standing at 175 cm and weighing around 50kgs. Physical description matching with the journal's description, with long indigo hair, violet eyes, and her current occupation is an office worker in a technology-based company. Her current living address, I had already sent it over to you.]

Durandal hummed, nodding her head instinctively to the girl's words as she kept walking.

She had read the address Rita sent her; she had been making her way over there already for the past hour. It would have been much quicker had she drove, but the car unfortunately belonged to the police force, and she was officially off-shift, so there was no way for her to procure one without bringing attention to herself; attention she did not need right now.

Her relationship with the police chief was already mild from the beginning, and it had only gotten worse over time. She needed to keep a low-well, lower profile than she did before, to avoid riling him up any more than she already did by just being around.

A part of her understood why he had such a vendetta against her, she was only transferred to here a month prior along with Rita and the rest of her division, which meant that the two sides had barely gotten time to even know each other before she started butting heads with him. Not to mention how much of a...troublesome group her division was composed of, and it's no wonder he didn't take a liking to her.

So she understood his feelings towards her; she understood.

But god did it still frustrated her to no end.

The thought made her audibly sigh, her eyes flickering over to the end of the long, empty road she had been walking on for the past hour; she needed to speed up if she didn't want to be outside when it got any darker.