Part 14

ENGFA'S POV

"So, did you have fun, guys?" I asked as we drove home, the evening sky casting a warm glow over the horizon. We had just wrapped up all the errands that needed to be done and, as promised, took Ava on a little date. I made sure she got everything she wanted, while Charlotte was there to play the voice of reason, saying no to just about everything.

"Yes, P'fa! Thank you so much! Please come back again tomorrow!" Ava's eyes sparkled with excitement as she clutched her new toy—a small, stuffed bunny she had picked out earlier.

"Ava, sweetie, we talked about this," Charlotte gently reminded her from the front seat. "P'fa has to work, so you can't bother her every day, okay?"

Ava's smile faded into a pout as she slumped back into her seat. "But I miss her when she's not here…"

I glanced at Charlotte, who gave me a knowing look, her lips forming a small, sympathetic smile. "It's okay, babe," I said, reaching over to give her hand a reassuring squeeze. "She's just a kid. She needs attention and love, especially now."

Charlotte sighed softly, brushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "I know, I know. I just don't want her to think she can have everything she asks for, whenever she wants it."

I nodded in understanding. "You're right. It's good to set boundaries. But it's also important she feels loved and cared for. We'll find the right balance."

Ava, overhearing our conversation, leaned forward with hopeful eyes. "So… does that mean P'fa can come back tomorrow?"

I chuckled softly, shaking my head. "Not tomorrow, Ava. But how about we plan something special for next weekend? Maybe we can go to the park, or even the zoo?"

Ava's pout quickly turned into a grin. "Really? The zoo? Yay!" She clapped her hands in excitement, the earlier disappointment already forgotten.

Charlotte smiled, looking at me with appreciation. "That sounds like a great idea."

As we continued our drive home, the car filled with Ava's cheerful chatter about all the animals she wanted to see at the zoo, I couldn't help but feel a warm sense of contentment. No matter how busy life got, moments like these reminded me of what really mattered.

Having spent the day with Ava made me realize just how much I want to have children of my own. The thought had been simmering in the back of my mind all day, but now, as we drove home, I couldn't keep it in any longer.

"Babe, I want to have a baby," I suddenly blurted out, my voice filled with a mix of excitement and longing.

Charlotte turned to look at me, her eyes wide with surprise. "You want a what?"

"A baby," I repeated, my heart pounding a little faster as I said it aloud. It felt so real now.

"Why did you suddenly start thinking about having a baby?" Charlotte asked, her expression softening as she studied my face, trying to gauge how serious I was.

I shrugged, trying to put my feelings into words. "I don’t know… I just had so much fun today with your sister. Spending time with her, seeing her smile, made me realize how much I want to experience that with our own child someday."