Chapter 1

Friday, October 3, 2064, 6:30 p.m. 

Office of Doctor Zaïna Hassan, prosthetic surgeon, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland.

Finally out of the ambulance after a rather busy day, it's crazy what specialties you can see when you're in the passenger seat or the back of one of these vehicles. The stupidity, both human and omnic, will always surprise me, as much as the violence they inflict on each other.

Humans and robots align against each other, and anyone different is hated and mistreated. I have gotten used to it over time, robots are not different from us deep down, but society does not focus on these problems and the collective mind is still marked by the omnic war. Fear feeds their actions of hate. 

My old job left its mark on me and pushed me to choose the one I do today. I constantly need adrenaline, but I know how to keep a cool head in all circumstances — a rational risk-taking, fueled by a permanent need for action. 

I was a special forces soldier, now I am an emergency surgeon, I follow patients from the accident scene to the recovery room after the surgery performed by me. I learned a lot from my former job, but it also cost me dearly. One eye, I laid down my arms after losing my right eyeball, now replaced by a cybernetic counterpart, far more practical than the original but a cruel reminder, with every blink, of the life I once led. 

Violence has never scared me. The end justifies the means when a life is at stake. 

But having a cybernetic eye does have its advantages; X-ray vision, zoom, eye tracking, camera, internet browsing and my favorite, movie watching, it's like having a whole computer at my fingertips. And I'm lucky to work in biotech, I can always test new models in advance and even talk to the manufacturer about potential new features. 

Unfortunately, the perk of wearing a white coat and the honor of having everyone call you Doctor also comes with responsibilities, and with them... paperwork, lots of paperwork... But among all these communications, this email received a little less than a week ago that I had put in the important folder because it had piqued my curiosity. With a movement of my eye and without touching my mouse, the email appears in my field of vision:

 ________________________________________ 

Received on September 26 at 6:31 p.m. 

By Jack Morrison 

Subject: Overwatch needs you. 

Doctor Hassan, 

Your talents as an emergency surgeon, and your service within the Royal Moroccan Army, have particularly attracted our attention. A potential collaboration could help us save even more lives. You'll enjoy security, comfort, and your own office in every Overwatch base of operations around the globe. We know how busy you are, but we still ask that you give this request your special attention. Your name was highly recommended to us by one of your former medical colleagues. 

Pending your response, please accept, Doctor Hassan, my distinguished greetings, 

Commander Jack Morrison. 

________________________________________ 

Overwatch. This name is on everyone's lips whenever the omnic war is the topic of conversation. These heroes from 20 years ago, continued to thrive and created an ambitious collaboration between scientists, researchers, soldiers and adventurers. 

A promise of peace, guardians of peace.

Will I really have a place in a group of pacifists? I won't stand to be locked up in one of their bases of operations from morning to night... the shared dormitories, I gave in when I was younger, but now...