Episode 14 : All Cards revealed

Daniel simply said “okay” and ended the call. Emma tried contacting Mia again, but nothing came through. She thought to herself, “I hope you’re okay, Mia.”

Meanwhile, Mia was rubbing the ropes around her wrists against the chair, trying to break free.

That evening, as everyone left the police station and Emma was about to go home, she saw Daniel leaning against his car, looking casual yet stylish.

She walked over to him and asked, “What brings you here?”

Daniel replied, “Get in the car. Your driver will bring your car.”

Emma got in, and as Daniel started driving, she asked, What’s with you picking me up today? This is so unlike you.

He replied, Well, both our families are coming over for dinner at our place tonight, so…

Emma, shocked, said, What? But why today?

Daniel looked at her and asked, Why are you so surprised? Do you have other plans tonight?

She quickly shook her head. “Not at all.”

When they reached his house, Daniel’s family—his parents, brother, sister-in-law—and Emma’s family, including her parents and aunt, were all there, visibly pleased to see them both.

They greeted everyone, and when Emma reached Daniel’s mom, she quipped, “I had to wait so long to see my daughter-in-law. I thought I’d forget her face after the wedding, she’s shown herself so little.

Emma’s face turned serious, but Daniel intervened, saying, “Mom, easy. She’s a chief inspector. She stays a bit busy.”

Unfazed, his mom added, “Right, she’s probably out there solving every crime.”

Daniel’s father quickly shifted the conversation. “Kids, I’m starving. Let’s have dinner.”

Emma’s parents agreed with a smile, Yes, let’s eat first. We can chat afterward.

Everyone gathered at the dining table. Daniel’s sister-in-law was chatting quietly with Emma, while his brother spoke to him. The parents were also engaged in their own conversations.

At one point, Emma’s father asked Daniel, “Emma doesn’t trouble you too much, does she?”

Surprised, Emma looked at her dad and said, “Dad!”

But Daniel chuckled, “Just a little,” which made everyone laugh. Under the table, Emma pinched Daniel’s hand, and he let out a quick “Ow!”

His brother noticed and asked, “What happened?”

Daniel gave Emma a playful look and said, “Nothing. Just the cat scratched me.” Hearing this, everyone burst into laughter, leaving Emma embarrassed.

She glanced at the clock and said, Actually, I have an urgent matter to attend to. I should get going.

Her father looked serious, “What could be so urgent at this hour?”

Daniel’s father interjected, She’s an inspector, so it must be work-related. Let her go. But Emma, come back soon.

Emma nodded with a smile.

Daniel asked, “What’s the matter?”

Emma came close to him and softly said, I told you, there’s been some issue.

Daniel replied, Alright, I’ll come with you.

Emma shook her head, saying,
No, I’ll manage. Besides, everyone’s here today. If we both leave, it won’t feel right. I’ll be back soon.