Tryouts

I started walking to the parking lot to get into my brothers car. I had to go to tryouts with him because I didn't have another way to get home. I hopped into his front seat and put my seatbelt on.
"Hey Sara, how was your day?" Mark asked.
"Pretty good" I said "how was yours?"
"Just spent it wondering why my little sister lies to me and doesn't listen to me" Mark said starring the car.
"What are you talking about?" I asked already knowing the answer.
"Oh come on, you know. You just came from the gym with Shawn." Mark said as he started driving towards the field.
"Mark..." I said
"I just don't understand. I told you all about him and his way with girls and you want that to happen to you?! I know I don't." Mark said almost yelling.
"But Mark I like him. I really like him. He's different with me." I said.
"You know what.... I tried. I really did. I don't understand you." Mark said.
"You don't understand me? I don't understand you! So what one of your friends likes me? Shouldn't that be a good thing!" I said
"No it's not a good thing because your my little sister." Mark said
The rest of the ride was silent.
We pulled into the parking lot at the baseball field and I took my bag and went up into the stands. I got up there and went on my phone. I had a text from Shawn.
TEXT FROM SHAWN
Hey! I hope I get to see you at tryouts. Maybe we can get ice cream after?
TEXT TO SHAWN
I would love to but I can't. My brother wouldn't let me go in a million years.
I put my phone down and started doing my math homework as a few parents came into the stands to watch the tryout. After they got warmed up they stated doing drills. I saw Alex's dad come up into the stands so I went over and talked to him.
"Hey Mr. Shaw!" I said making my way over to him.
"Hello Sara! Why aren't you out on the field?" He asked.
"Not allowed to play because I'm a girl" I said
"Seriously? That's insane. You deserve to play. Your just as good." He said.
"I know, and thanks. I really miss it." I said.
"You had great skill. They don't know what they are missing." He said
"Thanks" I said "Alex nervous?"
"Oh ya he is" he said laughing.
"He'll do fine" I said.
"I hope so" he said.
We stood there and watched the drills.
About an 2 hours went by and it was finally over. I went over and talked to Alex.
"You did great out there. You'll definitely make the team." I said
"Not really, but I hope." Said Alex
"Yes you did" I said hitting the back of his head.
Mark came over to us and patted Alex on the back
"Good job today kid, can't wait to have you on the team." Said Mark
"Thanks, I hope I make it" said Alex
"You will, need a ride home?" Asked Mark.
"No my dad is here, thanks though." Said Alex as he walked over to his dad.
"Ready to go kido?"Mark asked throwing his arm around me.
"Most definitely" I said as we walked to the car.
"Hey if you don't mind, we're going to Jason's for pizza with the team." Said Mark
"That's fine with me" I said. I'll just be able to see Shawn again.
We drove to Jason's house and parked our car right out front. Mark got out of the car and I followed in behind him. The only people I knew were Mark, Jason and Shawn, so it was going to be kinda awkward. We walked in and stood next to Mark. He introduced me to the team and the all said hi. Mark went over and talked to all of them and I went over to the couch and went on my phone. This happens a lot so I'm used to it. I felt the couch go down and I looked up. Shawn was sitting next to me with a smile on his face.
"Well hello there" Shawn said "can I interest you in a slice of pizza?" As he held a piece of pizza in front of me.
"I would love one" I said taking it out of his hand. We both started eating our pizza.
"Sorry I couldn't go out to ice cream. My brother would never let me." I said
"Don't worry I get it. It is forbidden love" Shawn said dramatically.
We both laughed and bit into our pizza.
"I've tried to convince him" I said.
"I have too...just not working" said Shawn.
Mark came over and grabbed my shoulder. He pulled me into the hallway.
"What are you doing?!" Asked Mark
"Talking to Shawn" I said
"Can you please just listen to me and stay away from him!" Said Mark
"No I can't! I'm sorry. But I like him. You can't do anything about it" I said
"Yes I can." Mark said "we're leaving" he said dragging me to the door.
"Bye boys, see ya tomorrow" he said slamming the door.