Chapter 8

???'s POV

I sickly smile.

The eerie glow from my screen had given me fabulous news. Curiosity had crawled inside my test subject. He had opened the package and plugged the drive in. I see him on the screen, now asleep on a branch. I decided to make things a little more difficult for him, after all, it was my world.

The evil grin stays on my face as I push a few buttons and program a few things. I set the effects to take place the next day.

"Let's make this a bit more interesting.."

Dan's POV

"Ugnn" my eyes reluctantly slide open. I don't want to wake up...

I hear a loud crackling sound and bolt upright. My hands dig into the flesh of the tree branch and I look to my left. There were just some shrubs swishing in the wind, not making the crackling sound I was hearing.

ZING!

An arrow zoomed past my face, roughly 3 inches away from my nose, coming from my right. I whip my head around and stare at the forest floor were a skeleton looks at me, it's body ignited. In Minecraft, usually a skeleton on fire was just a burst of orange and the skeleton turns red, then normal, then red, then normal and the cycle finishes when the skeleton dies and falls to the ground.

Here, the skeleton had cracks in its bones, the fire dives into them and pulls the skeleton apart from the inside, like a quickly moving virus. This skeleton was almost dead, I'm guessing at least, the crevices of the bones were everywhere and massive. And the fire was unbearably huge, tearing apart the skeleton.

As it limps toward me, loose bones fall from its body. It weakly tries to pull out another arrow but the fire broke apart its arm, detaching it from its body. The fire soon took its legs and it the body fell to the ground with a thud.

'Woah.' I say to no one in particular.

I make my way down the twisted body, swing off the last branch and plant myself on the soft grass. I take one last look and gaze to my left where there were trees and trees in a tunnel, pulling me in, tempting my instincts of exploration. Miles and miles of fun, beautiful sunlight slipping through less and less cracks as the tunnel progresses. I look to my right, about a mile of stumps of fallen, decaying trees and strong thick trees, but not as thick as the ones to my left.

I remember my thoughts from earlier, that I had to get work done, but why can't I have some fun fir...
'No! you can't procrastinate, you will get in the same position as you were earlier.'

I walk to my right, dragging my feet like a child who was kicked out of a candy store. After about 3 minutes of walking I reached the edge of the thick forest. A oak tree stood next to me and I turn to it. I land a good, hard punch that makes a satisfying crunch onto the bark. The wood looks as if it had been cracked like glass, a perverted crack in the middle, where I had punched it. I hit the wood again, and again and the bark crumbles with the impact of my fists.

The wood pops out of its place, leaving an empty square where it had been. The floating part of the tree pops into my pocket. I thrust my hand into where it had gone and pulled out a mini-version of it.

I stare at this log in my hand. I knew how to get oak planks since Minecraft is my favorite game. But how do I access my crafting ability? Then an idea hits me, I raise my hand that's holding the log and smash it against the wood of the tree I was cutting down. The log splits into 4 blocks made out of planks. I mine another block and repeat the process.

After what felt like hours I wipe the sweat off my forehead and look at my work. I have built a 10 by 10 by 3, 3 being the height. I sigh happily and look at the horizon. The sun was setting behind the spruce trees and the pink and orange glowed around the sun, looking like it's an aura.

I climb over the shack I had made, the planks were crooked and not balanced on eachother, they look as if one nudge from a squirrel could see the whole fort toppling down. I had found some planks that seemed sturdy so I quickly scale the structure. Then, I notice that I didn't have a ceiling. I felt through my pockets and found nothing. I look at the soil beneath my feet and work quickly to dig it all up. I was racing against time, knowing that if I didn't cover my ceiling soon, it wouldn't be a house...it would be an arena.

Jemma's POV
I looked at my tiny cave. I was proud of myself. I punched down a tree, made a wooden pick-axe and carved out a hole that went 5 blocks into the smooth stone where I had earlier been surrounded by zombies.

The sun was setting and I was about to fill up the whole I had made, trapping myself safely into it when I remember that I am missing something. Light! My wood pick-axe is nearly broken and I only had about 2 minutes, judging from the sun.

I spot a small patch of coal on a hill close to my mountain. Racing down the hill I am, before I even knew what I was doing. My clothes had changed since I had come to this world, I had on a filthy pink and white crop-top and dirt-coated jean shorts. The ends of my hair were a mix of Mac-and-cheese and straw golden colors, each in small squares repeating as a checkered pattern.

I was nearing the coal and I was nearly out of breath. My legs were tired and my lungs felt like they were going to shrivel up. I slam my pick-axe into the coal, seeing it crack, I repeat and the ore soon falls out. I move onto the next block and gain ore from that also. When I have at least 5 lumpy pieces I turn around, sprinting like my hair was on fire. I see zombies on the horizon and creepers in the distance but I quickly push myself up the mountain, getting dirt under my fingernails and scratches on my hand.

When I reach my little crevice, I dash in and close it off, stopping any moonlight that could reach me. I fasten some of the coal to a stick I had found earlier. I strike it against the wall, no reaction. I'm stumped until I see a darker rock next to me. I hit the torch against the rock and it is set ablaze. I hang it on the wall next to and lay down, curled up in a ball.

I close my eyes and embrace the exhaustion and fall into a light sleep.