Chapter 14

Officer Henry's POV
I munch on my doughnut and read the news. My feet are kicked up and I lean back in my leather chair. War...death...murder...treason...why can't there be anything good in the newspaper? The headlines scream at me as I flip from page to page, scanning each article.  Business was slow...I start to dream about the things I could of and wanted to be..a lawyer or a lifeguard, maybe even president!

I hear a loud noise and shoot up, scrambling to my feet and dropping my doughnut, I quickly pull my hand up into the 'attention' pose and stand still. I still haven't gotten hold of  the whole 'police' thing.

I can practically feel the energy burst from the open door as the chief is leaning down, catching his breath.

"A couple!...wheeze....kidnapping!...cough..." The old mans smiling face is decorated with wrinkles.

I relax from my position and run to the aid of the tired old man.

"What happened sir?" I ask in concern, helping him sit in my seat.

He continues breathing heavily as I clean up my doughnut that I had dropped earlier.

"There has been a kidnapping! Two young adults disappeared without a trace three days ago!" He exclaims.

"Why didn't we know about it the first day?" I ask, thinking it was quite strange.

"It's not like someone comes to their house every single day or calls them every single day either. A family member called them three times on the second day and once on the third before checking it out. When no on was there, they asked around the family and when no one said that they had seen them, they told us." He tells me.

"How do we know that they just aren't on vacation?" I question.

"Their pugs are still there, they've been starving until the family checked out the house. They would've brought them with them if they were on  vacation, or at least brought them to a kennel. Or have someone feeding them."

"Huh..." I think, "Any clues?"

"You are full of questions aren't cha my boy," He smiles, "There was only a slight mess in the office, but that is excusable, there is nothing else except that the television and computer were on."

"Do you want to go check out the sight?"

"Yes," He stands up and walks to the door, "I'll go get everyone, okay? Meet at the police car in 15 minutes alright?"

"Got it." I say.

When he closes the door, I practically jump up with glee. My first case! I've been waiting so long! Finally!

I hurry to the bathroom, wipe off crumbs that were on my face, comb my hair and brush my teeth. I had to look professional after all. I hurry out to the car and stand by the door. After waiting exactly 13 minutes, everyone starts to arrive.

"Newbie." I hear one of them whisper, hm...they must be talking about someone else, I've read the handbook cover to cover and I've memorized every single word on each page. Even those first three pages no one reads!

Four people cram into the car, I was unnaturally tall so I got shotgun. I secretly smile as the others groan as they shove their shorter legs against the reclined seats.

I turn up the radio, it started playing classical music, my favorite. I nod my head with the slow beat until I am rudely interrupted with a heavy metal song. Everyone starts violently shaking their head and sing along. I cover my fragile ears before they could be exposed to such horror.