Prologue

I was nervous to be going to a real school again after all these years. 

Flammel had persuaded me it would be the right move.

So after pulling on my 21st century clothes, I made my way to the bus stop, where children my age waited.

Haha, my age, that was a good one.

I climbed on the bus, sliding into an empty seat and was alarmed when someone else sat beside me. 

He was smiling in a beautiful way but he was no Alex. He was just Eric from chemistry.

I could never love someone again.

But I was wrong.

The bus jolted to a start and I turned to face the window.

The school was about an hour away, it would be a long start to the day.

We drove along the ridge of a mountain, part of a national park that the state protected.

There was a mountain valley lake on my left. 

As always, I felt the pull of the water, I felt it's power and rage.

But for the first time in my life, I ignored it.

Suddenly, the bus swerved, hitting the railing that barely managed to prevent us from hurtling into the depths of the lake.

Kids were screaming and rushing for the emergency exits.

Stop.

Oops, I'd used my telepathy.

But it had done the trick and I continued, this time speaking out loud, "We are precariously balanced, any move could launch us into the water."

Four kids decided to scream and save themselves and the bus lurched forward, heading on a one way route.

It was a long roll down the hill and we sank quickly when the bus hit the water.

Kids were still screaming and using up the little oxygen we had left.

I wasn't worried, I controlled water. Not the other way around.

Water began to slowly trickle through the windows and Eric turned towards me.

"If I'm going to die, I'm going to kiss you first."

Then he was kissing me.

"No," I mumbled absent-mindedly.

But he was right.

We were going to die.

My powers could save me but I could not use them to save myself or even others.

The Dark Elders were testing me. They knew I was on this bus. The person to survive would be killed as soon as they reached the surface. 

But some secrets were worth dying for.

Goodbye Nicholas. Goodbye Perenelle. Goodbye Scathatch.

This one certainly was.

I knew one way to make sure I would never get off this bus. 

I began to open the windows wide. It was the only way people would have a chance to rescue us and it brought exactly what I intened.

There were unison screams of, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Several people grabbed me away from the window. 

They held me down, keeping me away from the windows. 

The water came faster now.

Within a minute only half the bus wasn't submerged.

I fastened myself, entangling myself in a seatbelt.

I took one last breath as the water level went over my head, forcing myself to do what I was about to do.

Some secrets are worth dying for.

I exhaled, watching the bubbles float to the surface of the bus where the rest of the kids fought for the air and will myself to inhale again.

I felt the cool stream of liquid enter my mouth and lungs and closed my eyes.

I had won in the end.

The Dark Elders would never have me.

Goodbye.