Chapter 7- My Training Begins

Through the pouring rain, I could see the looks of confusion from everyone. 

They were staring at me as though I’d done something wrong.

“What- what is it?” I asked Sir Dee.

My hair began to plaster to my face as the downpour continued. I winced as the heavy raindrops battered my skin mercilessly.

“You shouldn’t have been able to withstand the Awakening,” Mr. Flammel answered before turning to Hecate, “You did awaken her right?”

She nodded, eyes narrowed at me.

I coughed, hugging myself to keep warm.

“Well there’s only one way to find out,” Scathatch muttered, looking meaningfully at Mr. Flammel.

“You’re right,” Mr. Flammel nodded before looking at me.

He clapped his hands together before me and for a second I could see a layer of green light surrounding him. It was his aura.

Then his aura focused to his hands and I was suddenly aware of a painful scent of over-whelming peppermint.

I closed my eyes, cringing away from the powerful scent but it was too much and I could feel the pain eating at the edge of my consciousness.

The rain stopped instantly and for a moment the scent did too, but I was too far-gone to come back now.

***

I woke up in a soft bed, in the dark night. The moon outside the window was startling bright, almost as bright as the sun was or at least used to be.

Everything seemed amplified by the largest number I could think of which happened to be 60. There was no point in numbers going any further; I was unlikely to live to 60 anyways.

Now, many years later, I smile at my limited imagination; I was right in a sense but also completely wrong.

I heard a scream in the distance that sent fear tingling up my spine. It sounded as though it were right next to me.

Even the soft carpets made of animal furs felt rough against my skin.

That’s when I realized where I was or rather what the building I was in was.

Completely integrated with the home, a giant tree made up the walls and floors.

I brushed my hand among the worn walls and shivered with excitement. I could feel the life within the tree; the living tree that people could live inside.

I paused at the window, carved into the very bark and peered out at the mystical world just before dawn.

A blanket of stars on the dark background of the night sky was nothing like I had ever seen before.

My room was high above the forest canopy. It was early yet exotic birds fluttered about the tops of the trees, singing beautifully.

I had never had an opportunity to travel in my previous life so all the creatures I now saw, was the most magical thing I had ever seen. Well at least that’s what I thought.

I was startled out of my daydreaming, well early morning dreaming, by a loud knock at the door.

“Come in,” I muttered, irritated. What had that poor door ever done to them? A lot evidently.

“You’re up?” Scathatch peered around through the crack in the door, “Good, the fun’s about to begin.”

**

The fun as it turned out, was not so fun.

Scathatch’s idea of fun was going for a long run in the already hot sun, followed by some ‘light stretching’ that left me breathless.

“Now we can start,” Scathatch said with a smile as I lay, metaphorically, dying on the ground.

“What? What have we been doing for the entire morning then?” I protested, I was hot and thirsty and all together not too impressed with the day so far.

“Oh that,” she smiled, “Was the warm-up, now your training begins.”

I later recalled how my heart leapt for joy. Who am I kidding, I was dreading what my ‘training’ could possibly be if this was just the warm-up.

“Control, is key-”

“Are you teaching me magic?” I interrupted.

“A form of magic, called control of oneself.”

********

Yo everyone, boring I know. I'm trying to get to the interesting stuff and believe me, there's lots coming. I deserve a medal because I finally remembered to dedicate this to someone. If you want a dedication, please please please bug me about it and finally before you go please

vote

comment

fan!