Chapter 31- A Hidden Prophecy

Brushing darker thoughts away, I pushed the horse to go faster and farther than it ever had before. I’d apologize later if I ever got out of this mess.

What I would give to be normal again.

To still be living with my brother.

I’d even wish myself dead on that stake, if it meant that John and Alex could be spared from the complications I brought to an already complicated world.

I blinked away the tears that were rapidly forming, trying to control my emotions. The last time I freaked out…terrible things happened. If Flamel knew what I could do when I was not in control, even he would wish to kill me on the spot. Although I’m not sure that that’s the Dark Elders’ plan for me.

And they always had a plan.

Up ahead, I could see the glowing lights of Paris: candles through the windows mostly.

I knew that somewhere there, Alex was sitting with his family, probably eating dinner and having a great holiday. Probably not even thinking of me.

I wished I could move on as easily as I hoped he would. I was glad that I wouldn’t have to say goodbye to him again. Not that he knew our last goodbye was really a permanent farewell. I couldn’t face him again.

Just like all the other lives I’d ruined, he deserved better. I hated that I could have permanently ruined his chances at the happy life he deserved.

I slowed my horse as I reached the edge of the city. I had mere hours left before John would die. I was relieved that I’d made it in time.

The moon was just peeking over the horizon when a dark voice filled my thoughts, just like when my mother had been executed.

Aurelia.

The voice filled me with dread and I climbed off my horse, not wanting to spook it if I jerked suddenly.

We know that you’re close by. We wish to speak with you but because we thought you’d be longer, we paid a visit to your friend. Alex was his name right? He’s calling for you right at this moment, knowing that you’re the reason his family was executed before him. He is angry. He is sad. He feels betrayed.

He would kill you if he ever found you.

But maybe we’ll kill him for you.

It really depends.

So make your choice.

Live with the consequences. For they shall not be light.

I forced myself to breath. I had parted ways with Alex, never thinking that he would want me dead. But I guess I had taken everything from him and I wouldn’t blame him if he hated me.

I hated myself for it, after all.

It was at this pivotal moment where I was indecisive.

Of course it would be, right?

I had no idea who I should go for. Should I save John, my first friend and best father, whom I knew was definitely in trouble? Or should I save the boy I loved, despite the fact that I didn’t know for sure what kind of danger he was in?

I loved Alex so much that it hurt. It hurt to think of him in pain, let alone hating me.

But John Dee found me first. He had rescued me when I was too weak. He had comforted me when I was afraid. John had taught me everything I knew.

And I owed him everything.

Including my life.

I climbed back on my horse and resumed my journey to the Eiffel tower.