Chapter 13: The Move

Zephaniah in the pic

30th June 2012, 1:52pm

So I'm sitting in the car with dad and he's giving me this looooong lecture on how I'm always making mistakes and how I always fall for and trust the wrong boys. I haven't even said anything to him because I would waste my breath trying to convince him that Jason is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

"A drug dealer, out of all people you choose a drug dealer? For Christ sakes I'm getting myself worked up just thinking about it all again-"

"Then stop thinking about it." I retort, silencing him.

He doesn't say anything else and we stay silent for the rest of the journey. We pull up to my uncle's house. It's on this estate in Pollards Hill, luckily my parents haven't shipped me out of London, or worse, out of the country. I get out of the car as soon as it stops moving and walk hurriedly to my uncle's front door. I knock a couple times and lean on the garage door.

"Long time no see Mani." Uncle Ash smiles warmly at me and gives me a hug. He's light just like my mother, with a killer smile and facial hair. He hasn't changed much from the last time I saw him. "Come in." He opens the door wider and steps to the side. I smile tightly and walk in.

"Ash!" I hear my dad's voice behind me. They make conversation as I walk into the kitchen and peer outside into the garden. There's a pot on the stove with something cooking. I'm not sure what's in it but it smells banging. I look back and see them talking to each other in hushed voices. Dad must be explaining the whole situation over to him and my uncle looks back at me.

"You can go upstairs sweetheart. Your cousin's here." He grins and I go upstairs to the living room. I love the houses on the estate, they're 3 storeys (that's why the living room's upstairs) and they have a balcony, garden, back green, garage, 3 bedrooms and a downstairs toilet. Not to mention the kitchen's a good size too.

"Rah I thought dad was lying when he said you were coming here." A deep voice from behind makes me jump. "Oh sorry I didn't mean to scare you." I turn around and am met by someone's chest. I look up and gasp as I recognise who it is.

"Hi! Oh my gosh why are you so big?" I ask as I hug my older cousin, Zephaniah.

"And why are you so small?" He looks down at me. "You're the same height you've been since like Year 5."

I kiss my teeth. "Shut up." I elbow him and sit in the living room. "Where's your mum?"

"Gone shopping." He sits next to me. "She's gonna come back with so many things." He shakes his head.

"Mine's the same. How old are you now?"

"22, how bout you?"

"17."

"WHAT? You're lying."

"Why would I lie?"

"You're not 17. Nooo way you're like 13."

"Shut up your mouth. About 13 please." I roll my eyes and he laughs. "Aren't you in uni or anything?"

"Nah, I finished already I'm working now."

"Aw what as?"

"Sales Executive at a car company."

"Oh calm."

"Yeah, its a nice job. Anyway, what did you do to get yourself here?"

I exaggerate a sigh. "Ugh it's a long story man don't worry."

"Fine I'll just go ask your dad." He stands and I grab his arm.

"No! Um, I mean he'll explain it to you in his point of view and that's not the correct one." I state as he sits back down. "You don't wanna know man really."