Chapter 14: Need a change

9th July 2012, 10:38am

I re-read the text about 5 times just to make sure my eyes aren't playing evil tricks on me. Nope. My eyes are fine. I read correctly. Before I get a chance to reply, I get another text.

J: Don't freak out

Ha this boy knows me too well.

I breathe out hastily and stand to my feet. I begin pacing around the kitchen, dialing Jason's number in the process. It rings for a short period before he picks up.

"Marnz chill for a second-"

"You're lying right?"

He sighs. "I'm not. Come on b I would never lie to you and you know that. It was him. I didn't wanna tell you but I knew you wouldn't wanna talk to me if I kept it from you. I'm sorry."

I put a hand on my forehead. "Don't be, you're not to blame. Imma have a couple words with someone alright? Argh Jay I'm so sorry, I'm sorry he hurt you. If I could change things-"

"Don't worry Marnz, it's okay. I spoke with my parents and told them everything. They aren't exactly happy with the situation right now and I stopped them from going to the police."

I groan and screw my eyes shut, pinching the bridge of my nose. Come on, my dad didn't really hit my boyfriend did he?

"I'll call you back alright, I gotta call someone." I tell him.

"Okay. I love you."

"I love you too."

I hang up and grab the cordless phone in the house. Ain't no way I'm calling a landline using my mobile hell nah. I dial my house phone number and wait for it to ring. It rings for a while before someone picks it up.

"Hello?" It's my mum.

"Yeah hello?"

I hear her gasp. "Imani! Oh honey how are you? I miss you its not the same without-"

"I didn't call for you, give the phone to Lexi." I say bluntly.

"I-don't you want to speak to me?"

"No."

She stays silent for a few seconds before letting out a shaky breath. "Mani-"

"Can you just give Lexi the phone?!" I say, agitated. "I already said I didn't wanna talk to you, damn."

The line is silent for a couple of seconds before I hear shuffling. "Hello?"

"Lex."

"Mani! Oh my gosh Mani I miss you."

I smile weakly. "I miss you too."

"Why's your mum crying?"

I blink repeatedly. "She just heard something she didn't wanna hear, that's all. Is she listening to this call?"

"No, she went into the garden."

"Where's daddy?"

"In the bath getting ready to go work."

"Oh okay. Hey can you do me a favour?"

"What?"

"Can you remember the day I left? Did anything happen after dad came back?"

"Umm...Well I remember he came home kinda late. Your mum was asking him where he was because he took really long. He didn't say nothing, he just went upstairs and your mum was shouting at him when he came back downstairs."