Chapter 16: Close Call

1st August 2012, 7:37pm

"Hey I'm going out quickly, make sure he doesn't stay too long yeah." Zeph pokes his head into the living room.

"Alright." I reply, keeping my head on Jay's chest.

We're on the sofa just watching Independence Day. It feels so nice being with him, without my parents having to get involved. They did end up talking to Jay's parents, but his dad had a fiery temper and their whole sit down was cut short.

"You okay?" His deep voice sent vibrations through my body.

"Yeah."

"You sure? Why's your body all tense?" He asks, stroking my baby hair.

"Just thinking about how our parents don't get along. Do you think they'll stay like this or will they sort it out? Imagine we get engaged and they still ain't talking to each other, that's bad Jason."

"Shh, you think too much." He taps my forehead lightly and I huff.

"Whatever."

***
"Marnz. Mani. Imani. Baby. Wake up."

"Hmm?" I stretch.

"You've got dribble all over my lap you know." I lick my lips and sit up, wiping my mouth and cheek. "Sorry."

"It's cool." He kisses my neck and I smile. "Look." He shows me his phone and my eyes grow wide. He laughs and I hit his chest.

"Delete it."

"Nah. Look at that long line of dribble." He zooms in on the corner of my mouth and starts creasing.

"Argh Jason you mug!" I reach for his phone but he gets up and holds it above his head. I pout and fold my arms, knowing damn well my short self ain't gonna be able to reach.

"Aww you're so cute." He pats the top of my head and takes off running upstairs.

"Jason you better delete that picture!" I chase after him into my room. I tackle him onto my bed and straddle him, reaching for his phone and snatching it off him.

"Oh my days you crack me up you know." He laughs again and I delete the picture from his phone.

"Dickhead." I mutter and he slaps my bum.

"Yeah but you love me though." He smirks.

"Shut up." I kiss my teeth.

He gasps with exaggeration. "Rude."

I let out a laugh.

"Imani we're home!" Zeph's mum, Lashae silences me.

"Oh shit." I mutter as I hear footsteps coming up the stairs. "Hide." I quickly get off of Jay and hide him underneath the quilt. It's not like I'm not allowed Jay in the house, I am, but I'm not allowed to keep him in the house past 10. It's 11 now. Our agreement was that he could come over, but he wasn't allowed to stay because...well we're teenagers and my uncle only trusts us to a certain extent innit.

My bedroom door swings open and I throw some clothes from my chair onto the bed. "Hi." Lashae smiles at me.

"Hi Auntie." I wave slightly.

"What are you up to?" She eyes my bed suspiciously. "Spring cleaning at," She looks at her watch, "at 11:26 in the night?"

"Yeah, why not?" I shrug.

"Oh no go ahead, do what you want I ain't stopping you." I was depressed for like 3 days last week and didn't come out of my room, turns out she didn't know I had depression. So now anytime she speaks to me it's like she's walking on egg shells to avoid upsetting me.