Chapter 2: It Must Be Fate

Pic of Imani's dad on zee side -------->

September 11th, 2010, 9:18 am

Summer's over. Everyone's back at school, the weather's cooling down. I am currently at my first day at college. I missed my bus and am now almost 20 minutes late to my lesson. I go to the receptionist and ask for directions to my class. Instead of helping me out properly, she hands me another copy of my timetable and a map of the campus. Lazy fat lady. I flash her a fake smile before leaving and aimlessly searching for my room. A good 10 minutes and thank fuck I'm here.

"About bloody time." I mutter under my breath. I swing the door open and every head in the room turns to me. I freeze and look at the tutor with an apologetic face. She stares at me blankly before parting her thin lips to speak.

"Name?" She asks me.

"Imani, sorry I'm late." I reply.

"Don't worry about it. I'm Vida by the way." She smiles brightly and motions for me to take a seat. "Right now we're just doing group work. Working in pairs I want you to brainstorm different ways you can advertise a product."

"Oh." I take my bag off my shoulder.

"Would you mind working with this young man?" She points to a guy in the back. His eyes meet mine and I almost faint at the sight of him.

"Jason?"

The tutor looks from me to him, then to me again. "Oh, so you already know each other? Great, no need to those awkward introductions then. Get to working then, you have 15 minutes." She snaps her fingers.

She goes back to doing whatever she was doing, and I watch everyone turn back around and focus on their work. I peer at Jason and cower, seeing him smirking at me, humour playing in his eyes. I walk over and sit next to him.

"So how've you been Marns?"

I clasp a hand over my mouth and fail at containing my laugh. Some people turn around and look at us. I smile sheepishly at them and look at Jason.

"You didn't tell me you came here."

"You never asked."

I raise an eyebrow at him and chuckle.

"Well, let's get to work then." I sigh and take a piece of paper from the table.

He puts his hand over mine and electricity shoots through my body. "Forget about that right now." He says.

"Oh." I reply.

"Imani I've got something important to tell you." He stared into my eyes and sighs. "I lost my number, can I please have yours?"

I stare at him for a second before bursting into laughter. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. I double over clutching my stomach as I continue laughing. After a few minutes he pats my back and I sit up. I compose myself and sniff, wiping my tears. I look at the faces staring back at me.

"Sorry, sorry." I apologise for making noise.

Jason taps my shoulder. "What's funny?"

I search his face and realise he was being serious. "Oh! You weren't joking?"

He bites his lip and I almost fall off my chair. "Nah."

I stare at him for a good minute and a half before scrambling for a piece of paper and writing my name and number on it. He puts the number in his phone and texts me. I save his number.

"Alright, time's up!" Vida claps her hands. "So, who should I choose to present their ideas?" Her eyes scan the room and I avoid eye contact. " How about the couple at the back that wouldn't stop talking? Imani?" I look at her and she smirks.