A Change In Character

"James you're a twat." I say jokingly to my brother as I walk to my room for the night. I was craving a cigarette but I knew that I couldn't while my parents and brother were still awake, so I pull the blankets back and lay in bed listening to the album that James gave me to listen to. Which was a normal thing, he always gave me a copy of his bands newest albums before they released them to the public. I've listened to this album at least a dozen times and I love it, my favorite song comes on and I start singing along.

"Man am I proud of myself on this one, she's such a fucking masterpiece, self destruction is such a pretty little thing." I take a breath to get ready for the next part when my door starts to open and my brother James walks in, "I know that I should walk away, But I can't bring myself to quit this game, She's just a beautiful girl with the weight of the world on her shoulders." He sings, making me groan.

"You ruined the song." I say jokingly as he rolls his eyes at me. "So you like the album you little twat?" He jokes. I nod my head and push him out of my room, "Now leave me alone." Closing my door I walk into my bathroom, opening the drawer in the vanity and pull out a green and blue tie dye lighter and light each candle in the room. The flames flicker providing enough light to allow me not use the actual light as I fill the tub with hot water and soap causing a bunch of bubbles to form, I slowly get undressed and lower my body into the tub.

The water surrounded my body and it felt amazing, I lay back against the tub and close my eyes. I open my eyes and grab the pack of cigarettes from next to the tub and place one between my lips and light it. Taking a long drag from it I feel my body relax and I chuckle, "Self destruction is such a pretty little thing." Suddenly the door opens and my brother comes in and just stares at me, "Riley what the hell are you doing!" He says quietly.

I shrug my shoulders and take another drag and blow the smoke out, "I've been this way for a while you're just finding out." I say calmly. He looked at me and sat down, "I guess I can't say much so pass me the smokes." He says as I throw the pack of smokes to him. He takes the pack and lights a cigarette, "Is there anything else I don't know about you?" He says blowing smoke into the darkness completely ignoring that I am naked in a tub of water.

I take a final drag from my cigarette and put it out and look at James, "where do you want me to start?" I chuckle and I can sense his frustration. "I don't know Riley, start from the beginning." Letting out a sigh I start, "I've been smoking for months now, I don't remember when I was sober last. I have sex frequently and when Scott isn't sober, he beats up on me. I like pot, it makes me happy and I go days with no sleep because Scott forces me to do drugs with him, but I love him." The room gets quiet and I look at James and his eyes are hard and filled with anger. "I can't fucking believe that. I hate that little piece of shit." He spats as he puts his cigarette out and stands up, "Also, Asking Alexandria is going on tour and you're going with us, I'm not leaving you here." I laugh and grab a towel, "Why so I can go with you and watch you guys drink, party and do drugs? What the fuck is that going to do for me James?"

His gaze hit me and I felt like I was frozen in place, "It's going to get you away from that animal that you call a boyfriend. You deserve so much better and yet you sit here and take everything he does to you. I don't understand Riley." He said trying to hold back tears but I saw them. He was emotional and it was my fault.

"You've changed Riley and not for the better." He whispered and I felt like my heart had fallen to the floor.

Picture is Riley/17/ James sister/