25

Marc headed over to the Baxter's that following Wednesday. His family had pushed him to the brink of insanity. His mother pestered him about seeing a psychologist. His step-father kept barging into his room to check that he was "okay" and his step-brother kept making sure his door was always open. Gwen, his little sister was the only one he didn't want to hit. She sat next to him with her laptop and played classic 1980's movies until he laughed.

After plenty of pity parties and moping Marc decided he needed to get out and forget the sight of Kip's bleeding head. He knocked on the door of the Baxter's house. Trent Baxter opened the door.

"How are you Marc?" he asked.

"Just fine Trent, just fine..." Marc said. "Is Tegan home?"

"In the living room," Trent said, pointing down the hall.

Marc walked past Trent and into the living room where Tegan lay on the couch with her head on her boyfriend's chest. Their arms were wrapped around each other.

A packet of biscuits lay on the coffee table. Marc noted that two biscuits were missing. Children's cartoons played on the television screen.

"Alisha was here earlier," Tegan said.

Marc sat on the couch perpendicular to Tegan's. "Are you planning to go back tomorrow?" he asked.

"I think so. Christie and Wes said they would, Della is still thinking," Tegan said.

"I'm planning to. I need to get out of the house," Marc said.

Marc sighed and turned his attention to the television. A Peanuts special played. Lucy van Pelt was in the middle of berating Charlie Brown. "Oh look it's you Tegan," Marc said.

Tegan ripped a pillow out from under Roland's head and pegged it at her friend.

"Thanks Lucy," Roland muttered, after his head hit the couch.

Marc tucked the pillow under his head and looked up at the ceiling. "How's Christie?" he asked, diverting the topic from his friends aggressive behaviour.

"She now has a degree in editing," Tegan said.

"I'm sorry?" Marc said, scratching his head.

"Whenever Christie feels emotionally challenged she attempts to channel it academically. She finished four weeks of work in two days," Tegan explained.

The three of them sat together for fifteen minutes before Marc swung his legs over the couch and stood up. "I'll see you tomorrow," he said.

"Bye," Tegan said softly.

Roland untangled himself from Tegan's arms and walked Marc out. "How are you really doing buddy?" he asked once the two of them were outside the front door.

"Alright considering the circumstances. I'm pretty shocked and a little scared but everything should be alright," Marc said breathlessly.

"Tegan and Christie are hanging out tomorrow, did you want to go for some coffee too?" Roland asked.

"I thought you'd never ask," Marc said.

"Alright Markie, give me a hug," Roland said.

The two boys embraced. In order to reestablish their masculinity they started to pat each on the back. They broke away when they heard footsteps heading towards them.

Roland made his way back to his girlfriend as Marc left to see Delilah.

Mrs Basmijan opened the door and let Marc in, hugging him and checking that he was all in one piece. She sat him down at the dining table and put a plate of anoushabour in front of him.

"Delilah, Marc is here!" she yelled down the hallway.

Delilah padded down the stairs with her computer and sat it down on the table. She crossed her legs once she sat down.

"Delilah you are barely dressed!" Mrs Basmijan said, hitting her daughter's bare legs with a spatula.

Delilah looked down at her legs which were barely concealed by a pair of short pajama shorts and her arms which were left uncovered by a sleeveless shirt. She shrugged. "It's only Marc," she muttered.

Mrs Basmijan plated up the barley pudding for her daughter making sure it was half the size of Marc's serving. Delilah accepted it while pushing her glasses up her nose.

Mrs Basmijan pushed Delilah's laptop shut. "Mum I was busy. I was doing work," Delilah complained.

"You have company," her mother said.

Delilah sighed and attacked the pudding with a spoon. Mrs Basmijan left the room leaving the two teenagers alone.

"You know she's trying to set us up, don't you?" Delilah said, taking a mouthful.

"Yeah she wouldn't force you to close the laptop if it was Tegan," he said.

Delilah tucked her hair behind her ears. "How are you?"

"Fine, frustrated because Mum's annoying me."

"I like your Mum, she cares in a not as overbearing way."

"Your Mum cooks better food."

"It's only because she's a stay-at-home Mum... Marc can get you check that she's not listening in at the door," Delilah hissed.

Marc stood up and stuck his head around the door. "She's gone Dells," he said. He sat back down.

"Marc I am scared shitless alright. I can't sleep. What if it is a serial killer and they didn't just murder Kip as a one-off," Delilah said.

"Look Dells I understand but there haven't been any murders around here lately and no one liked Kip it could have been anyone there," Marc said, putting a hand over hers.

"But what if it's one of us next?"

"I don't know Dells, I really don't."

A/N: Sorry this is so short and it's not one of my best but I've been sick and lethargic and angsty. I've been an all round fun person to be around. Any mistakes let me know. Next chapter you'll get a climpse into Christie's mind which I'm excited about. Thanks for reading.