120

Christie spent the night at the hospital while they concluded she had a fractured her scapula. Part of her was disappointed that she was wrong and it wasn't dislocated.

She lay with her arm wrapped up and elevated, sleeping on her left side, swaddled in blankets, courtesy of her mother.

In the process of sixteen hours she had been yelled at by her parents, questioned by police and visited by Winnie who quickly ran in to check she wasn't dead, left some flowers and bought her a chocolate bar from the vending machine before eliciting a promise from Christie that she wouldn't tell anyone about the Maiden. The only positive thing was that she wasn't as hopped up on drugs like Tegan had when she broke her wrist, causing her to lose the filter on her mouth, making her confess her feelings to the boy she liked. Instead she was irritable with the police.

Marc eventually came in during the afternoon once he was released from his mother's questioning. Christie was staring at the ceiling, absently chewing on the chocolate bar to tie her over until lunch. The insomniatic nights had finally caught up to her, resulting in bags under her eyes and weakness in all limbs causing her to sleep for hours on end.

Marc ran into her room which she shared with a boy a little younger than her, whose leg had been cut open and an old woman who had a lung infection hooked up to fifteen different machines.

He stood at the door looking around the room before his eyes lay on Christie who was at the back of the room. Dodging a disgruntled nurse he took the seat to her left.

"How are you?" he asked.

"Alright my shoulder hurts. And I have to ask, did last night really happen?" she said, rubbing her eyes.

Marc nodded, picking at the plastic on his seat. "It did but based on what you discovered Harvey is being held on remand, he confessed, and arrangements for Wesley to be released."

"I'm sorry, Marc, I wish it was any other family."

"We all do."

"I wish it had been someone with dead parents and no family or anyone who loved them."

"It makes so much sense now," he muttered.

"Marc don't beat yourself up about it, it could have happened to anyone."

Christie turned to face Marc, who rubbed a hand over his face and crossing her legs at the ankles. He'd changed, no longer was he the naive, carefree boy of before, his eyes bore a sense of maturity. She had successfully destroyed Marc Cavener, that thought killed her (pun intended).

"Hey the next couple of months it's going to be Claythorne and Cavener against the world."

"It doesn't have to be Christie."

She attempted to shrug but could only raise one shoulder.

"Hey, Marc, I'm sorry things didn't work out in your favour."

"It doesn't matter about Harvey we'll pull through."

"I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about us romantically. I know you entered into the investigation hoping it might lead to something. In any other situation I could think of it would have worked out for us. I'm just not in any position to offer you anything but friendship."

"I know, I'm happy to be friends, I just don't want to skirt around each other."

"Thanks, just give me time."

"I will and we'll get through this together."

They smiled at each other and relapsed into silence. Christie picked up the book on the bedside table while Marc looked at his phone.

"What are you reading?" Marc asked.

Christie flashed the cover at him. "I can't cope with mysteries so I'm reading The Scarlet Pimpernel. For the smartest woman in all of England she can't work out who her husband really is. I guess it is a mystery...a nice one at least."

"I think Wes might have one."

"Give me access to Facebook, preferably Tegan's and I'll have it sorted."

"I'll arrange something," he said with a soft smile.

Christie lay her head back on the pristine white pillow and put her book down. Already her brain knew who to contact. The Maiden would be helping her out one more time.

Marc sat with her, running a hand through his hair. He scraped his shoes across the cork floor, checking his phone periodically until his mother text. He put the phone back into the pocket of his tan shorts, the outline of his phone protruding through the material.

"I'm going to leave now if you need anything let me know," he said.

Christie waved weakly with a pale hand as he walked out slowly. Watching him leave she let out an exhale. Things would never be the same.

She looked opposite her at the teenaged boy who had cut his leg open (chasing a girl no less) gave her a thumbs up. She poked her tongue out in response.

Things would work out eventually.   

A/N: Only a little bit left to go. Thanks for reading :)