1

"Nishimura Akiko," the homeroom teacher called out. Whispers were heard as the class turned their heads, searching for the unfamiliar name. There was a silent pause before the teacher shook his head, taking his pen to mark the new student absent. Before the pen could come in contact with the attendance sheet, footsteps were heard from outside and the door slid open with a loud bang, causing several kids to jump back.

A girl with purplish-black hair stood at the doorway, gasping for air and looked as if she would fall over any second. Some boys whooped seeing a new girl joining their class while most girls rolled their eyes and went back to whatever they were doing on their phones. "I'm here! Sorry I'm late! Er- my son locked me up in a trunk?" A few snickers were heard while some other students lost interest and buried themselves back in their arms to sleep.

"Ms. Nishimura, sit down next to Kasamatsu Yukio over there in the back seat. No need for your silly excuses, we know you don't have a son. At least...I hope you don't yet. Ah- anyways, Kasamatsu-san, raise your hand," he said, giving the new student a stern look.

She gave a sheepish look at the teacher before searching around the classroom. A boy with short, spiky black hair buried his face in one of his arm sleeves while the other arm shook in the air. She cocked her head to the side in confusion, wondering why he refused to make eye contact with her, but simply shrugged it off and made her way to the empty seat near the window.

"Nice to meet you stranger! I'm Nishimura Akiko, but you can call me Aki! Ne~ Ne~ since I'm going to be sitting next to you this entire school year, let's be best friends," Aki quietly introduced herself, holding a hand out to her neighbor. Kasamatsu peeked his head out through his arms and stared at her hand for a while before going bright red in the face, shutting his eyes, and scooted away from her. Her face dropped as well as her arm, but she once again shrugged it off and began to copy down the problems on the board.
~~~
"Hey you, new kid," one of the girls in Aki's class called out,"Are you joining us or what?"

Aki glanced around the room, wondering why she was staring directly at her before realizing the room was empty and the question was directed towards her. "Yeah, sure," she chirped in reply, grabbing her bento box and jogged to the door where the girl and her group of friends waited. She followed behind as the group of girls lead the way. They stopped at a grassy area in front of the school and sat down underneath an oak tree.

Every one of the girls seemed to share their personal stories whether it was about their parents, love interest, or what happened in class. Aki noticed most of the girls in this group talked about this one model named 'Kise Ryouta' and how 'hot' he was. Apparently he goes to the same school and is the ace on the school's basketball team. Hearing the word basketball, Aki perked up and began to listen more intently.

"So Aki, where did you come from? C'mon, tell us about yourself! I'm pretty sure everyone's dying to know all about the girl who literally got all the boy's attention," the girl who had asked Aki to join smirked. Everyone stopped their conversation and directed all their attention to her, making her fidget. She looked around, taking note most of these girls did not look friendly at all, in fact, they looked as if they just wanted to listen to her talk about herself and then come up with some juicy gossip.

"Well, I moved to America when I was 5, stayed there ever since. There's nothing really interesting about me. Joined a few clubs, won a few awards, and then decided to move back here my final year of high school, I guess," Aki lied, selecting her words carefully.

"There's got to be something more to you than just that! I mean, you practically lived in America your whole life, there's got to have been something interesting going on back there! You know, like, boys?"

The lunch bell rang just in time, managing to save Aki from the girls. She quickly packed up her lunch, cleaned up her area, and bid farewell to the girls, wanting to leave the group as fast as she could. Never again will I accept their lunch offer. I'd rather eat by myself, she thought to herself, dusting off her skirt as she walked back to class.

Of course, she should've been paying attention. As she was dusting off her uniform, she bumped into a sturdy figure and fell back, landing on her bottom. When she looked up, she saw a familiar face looking down at her, practically terrified.

"KASAMAT-" Her words were cut off short since he had run off as fast as he could. "Eh? Do I smell or something? Maybe one of the girl's scent rubbed off on me. I knew I shouldn't have sat with them. "

~~~