16

Aki couldn't help but stare at the new transfer student at the front of the class. There was just something about his presence that gave her the heebie-jeebies. The rest to the girls in the class, however, was smitten over this new transfer student. He had ash blonde hair that was somewhat tousled around, giving him a messy playboy look. His red eyes stood out the most to Aki. Though he had a smile plastered on his face, his eyes remained unwavering and appeared cold and empty.

While the rest of the class looked at the boy in awe, Kasamatsu could not care less and would rather review his notes than getting involved with another transfer student. The last time he did, he ended up living right next door to one, not to mention she ended up becoming the manager for his team.

"I know we are already in the middle of the school year, but please make our new transfer student feel welcomed. His family had just moved here from America, so he is still in the process of adjusting. With that, please introduce yourself to the class, Mr. Gushiken," the homeroom teacher announced.

"Nice to meet you all. My name is Gushiken Junichiro, but I usually go by Jun. My parents and I just moved here from America, but don't worry, I am fluent in Japanese. I hope we will all get along well," he said, staring straight at Aki. Aki took this as a challenge and stared right back, neither of them breaking eye contact. While the girls squealed with delight on how he was staring at Aki, the guys gave him a small glare. According to the Bro Code, a Bro shall not damage another Bro's chances to score, and this Jun guy was clearly going to intervene somehow.

"Well then, Mr. Gushiken, there is an empty seat over there to your right so that's where you will be," the teacher said, pointing over to an empty desk by the window. He immediately broke eye contact and looked at his seating arrangement. It was 2 desks away from Aki's, but if he glanced towards the back, he had a clear view of her.

Kasamatsu had placed his notebook down by now and stared at the new student. Why did he stare at Aki so hard? More importantly, there was something about this guy that got on his nerves. Maybe it was the playful smile he had plastered on his face or the smirk he gave when he was walking towards his seat that reminded Kasamatsu of a certain kouhai of his. He had an air of arrogance surrounding him that seemed like he could get anything he wanted as long as he played the right strings.

~~~

"Practice match?"

"Will you stop interrupting me and let me finish," Coach Takeuchi yelled at the members. "As I was saying, we'll be having a practice match against Seirin High tomorrow. It probably won't take long, so we'll only use half the court. Those of you that won't be in the game will just continue practicing like normal since I doubt there's really much you can take away from the game. Nishimura has the list of those playing tomorrow so make sure you check in with her before getting back to practice today."

"I'll just read out the names of those playing tomorrow so you guys don't have to wait around. Ka-sa-mat-su Yu-ki-o ♡ my gorgeous hunk of a man-"

"You idiot, just spit it out already! We all have shit to do," the captain yelled, karate-chopping her head.

"OWIE! That hurt! Fine, Kasamatsu Yukio, Moriyama Yoshitaka, Hayakawa Mitsuhiro, Kobori Kouji, and Nakamura Shinya. The regulars will be playing, so the rest of you will just resume practice as normal tomorrow. Nakamura-kun, I know you usually play shooting guard, but we'll be having you as a small forward tomorrow since Ryoushit won't be playing."

"Huh, why not," Moriyama asked, looking around. "Has anyone seen him? I don't even think he was here when the coach made the announcement."

"Well, judging on what he said earlier, he probably doesn't think of our opponent as much. If Ryouta were to be put in the game, it'd probably be even more unfair since they're already playing against our regulars, so he says. Personally, I think he's underestimating the other team quite a bit, but well, what can a manager do against a grumpy old man," Aki shrugged. "And to answer your question, I heard him tell the coach he had something to do today. The coach already told him about the practice match, but I'm not sure if he knows he's not starting."