Ch.6

-Hiro-

It was a long night last night. Turns out Jeff beat me before he went to work. Meaning he was drunk and late for work. He came home furious because he lost his job and beat me for it. The beating consisted of him punching and kicking me. Then he drove his pocket knife through my left shoulder, right where my previous knife wound had already healed.

I shuffle through the snow and slow my pace as I see my high school nearing. I gulp and look around, seeing no one. I sigh and make a left, leaving the school. What's another day missed? I might as well not even go to school, I don't seem to learn anything there. No one wants me there, not even the teachers want me.

I keep walking with nowhere in particular. I just want to get away from the school. Away from all the people who can and will hurt me. Why do I even stay here? Because Jeff would find me and kill me. Jeff will always find me one way or another. Someday he will hit me too hard, or push me too hard, and I will take my last breath. I know Jeff will be the one to kill me. For some reason I'm not afraid of that either. I don't fear death, I welcome it. I want all the pain to be over. I don't want to die, but if it stops the pain, then yes, I would welcome death with open arms.

"Hiro?" Someone calls my name. I gulp and walk faster. "Hiro!" The person calls louder.

I turn around as a hand is placed on my sore shoulder. I don't show my pain though, instead I embrace it as I turn to look at the owner of the hand.

Axel stands just inches in front of me, his hand drops to his side as he stares at me. An emotion crosses his face that I can't place.

"Why did you run away from my house?" He asks me.

"I had to go home," I simply say.

"Why did you write me that note?" He asks me angrily. Why did he care?

"Why couldn't you just let me die?" I ask just as angry and start to walk away.

I gulp as Axel grabs my arm and pulls me back to look at him. Something changes in his eyes and a throaty growl escapes his lips before he pushes me against the wall, where am I? I brace myself for the blow that is to come. I tightly shut my eyes as his grip on my arm tightens. I whimper quietly as he runs a finger down my arm seductively. Why is he torturing me like this? Why can't he just get the beating over with already?

"Who did this to your arm, Hiro?" He asks me, something in his voice scares me. I forgot all about my cuts.

"N-n-nobody," I stutter.

A deep growl escapes his throat and he grabs my face in his hands, causing my eyes to fly open. I stare into his deep green eyes that seem to flash a different color. Did I just see gold in his eyes? Why does he even care about my cuts?

"Don't f***ing lie to me, Hiro," He still holds my face as he rubs a thumb gently over several of the cuts on my arm, sending sparks flying under my skin. "Who the f**k did this to you?"

I manage to get myself under control and manage to push him away from me. He had his chance to beat me up.

"Get off me, Axel," I say in a surprisingly strong voice.

I seem to have stunned Axel from my sudden bravery but he regains himself quickly. He pushes on both of my shoulders and up against the wall again. I wince at the pressure on them and my back. Axel is glaring at me. Before I know what is happening he rips my shirt in half and pulls the loose fabric away to stare at my broken body. He takes a deep breath as anger flashes across his face.

"Who. The. F**k. Did. This. To. You." He growls slowly and menacingly as he stares at the various gashes and bruises on my flesh.

"Why do you care?" I ask him. "Think you could do better?" Was that pain flash in his eyes I just saw?