15

"wake up!." Violets mum threw a kente dress on the white bed, it was 5pm and violet was still sleeping. She forgot to cover her hair with a bonnet so her curls were sprawled across the pillow

"No." Violet mumbled, resulting in her mum ranting at her in twi.

"We are going to a party."

"Too much partying is bad for you mum tsk tsk." Violet replied in a cheeky manner, she slowly rolled out of bed, her head spinning.

"Shush, it is your cousins birthday and your aunties want to see you."

It was now 6:00 and Violet was finally ready, her dress was beautiful and it had pockets which was a giant bonus. She skipped downstairs to see her mum and dad wearing clothes with a similar kente design as her.
"No, we are not matching." When Violet was younger her mum had a habit of putting her hair into two puffs and making the whole family match whenever they went to parties or church.

"Oh come on, we all look nice."

"No mum." Violet groaned she ran upstairs to grab an oversized leather jacket from her suitcase. Violet walked back downstairs, her mums lip curling into a smirk due to the fact that they were all matching.

............................
Like most African parties, there were a lot of people, Violet was stuck wedged between her aunty and her mum. A large plate of jollof rice in front of her.

"So do you have a boyfriend?" Her aunty asked.

"No aunty." She chuckled trying her best to sound as polite as she can.

"Find a nice husband at university, he must be intelligent..,"
Violet found herself distracted by the music that was playing, the same song that they played at the African festival she went to, with Luke.

...............................
Two weeks later and Violet was back in new york.

"Babe." Anastasia mumble as she sat on violets lap wrapping her arms around her neck "this cold is out of control."

"Oh my gosh get off of me!" Violet tried her best to pull Anastasia off of her, but eventually gave up.

"How's life?."

"I'm going to talk to Luke today or tomorrow or never...in scared."
Violet knew that Luke hated her.

"That's good."

"Yeah."