Chapter 4-The Train

Instead of more visitors, a peacekeeper tells me I have to get on the train now. We get in a car that takes us to the train station.The doors open up at the sight of our arrival.

When we walk in, there is every food in there that you can think of. From seafood to cupcakes, it's a culinary heaven. We sit down on a soft couch with Flishia sitting across from us.

"So, how about you two get some food while I find your mentor. You two should listen to every word Annie says, she did win once." She exits to box car and goes into next. Elliot turns to me and puts his hands over mine.

"Okay listen. We both know only one of us can win." I nod to let him know I am following. "We can still be us. No, we will still be us! There is no reason we can't be!" I can think of a few, but I don't say anything. "Kaya listen to me. I love you so much." He leans over and kisses me on the lips. I pull away after a second or two, feeling that Flishia and our mentor could be back any second.

"I love you too." I reply, breathless. We sit there until Flishia walks in with a big smile on her face.

"Well, here is your mentor, Annie Cresta." I take a second look. Wasn't she the one who won last year? Isn't she the one who went crazy? Why would they let her be our mentor, someone who will do everything in their power to bring at least one of us home. I begin to lose hope for district four to win the games this year.

"H-hi" she quietly says. Now I remember how she won. She won because there was an earthquake that broke the dam during the game, and she was the best swimmer.

"Hello Annie, I'm Elliot and this is Kaya." Elliot introduces us and shakes her fragile hand. I get up as well and say hello.

"Well!" Flishia says, probably avoiding the awkward silence as Annie covers her ears. "Enjoy yourselves, eat whatever you would like, and don't be afraid to talk to Annie or me anytime." She smiles and takes a piece of chocolate with her. "Oh yes, one more thing. The train was making some noises, so as soon as we reach district three we will be making a quick stop and get something fixed. There are bedrooms a few carts down, and you can sleep there for the night. Okay?" She looks back at Annie. "Excellent. Annie, why don't you come with me, We can talk about-" and the door shuts them out. It must be five o'clock, and I'm hungry.

"I'm going to get something to eat and head to my room for the night." I say.

"Are you sure? You want me to-"

"I'm good, thanks though. I just need time to, you know, let this all sink in." I kiss him on the cheek and leave the room. I walk through each cart until I find a bedroom. This room is bigger than the other, and both combined is bigger than my room I share with Brent altogether. Brent. I wonder what they are doing now, probably eating dinner with no conversation being made.

My new room is connected to my own bathroom that has a shower with many settings on it. I decide to live on the luxury side for the night and spoil myself. After all, this all ends within a week or two for me.

After I showered and dressed myself in the Capitol provided silky pajamas, I cuddle up in bed and turn on the TV. Automatically it shows Caesar Flickerman in the middle of a program. They are recapping last year's game. They just got to the part where the clock is ticking down. I try not to watch the beginning with all the blood spreading in the first twenty minutes of the game. As the games go on, volcanoes erupt, it rains and thunders, and finally the earthquake breaks the dam. You can see all the remaining tributes stay above the water level, the ones who can't swim drown instantly. At the end it looks like Annie is lost at sea, but the last one alive, when they announce her as victor of the seventieth Hunger Games.

It's probably eleven or twelve o'clock and I shut the television off and tuck myself in bed. I actually fall asleep for a half an hour or so until I wake up in panic. My quick dream was of me separated from everyone I love. Brent, my family, Elliot... I decide I need a glass of water, so I return to the food cart.

Elliot is still sitting in the same spot I left him in, except he showered and got into pajamas as well. "Oh hi Elliot." I rub my eyes.

"Did you sleep at all?" He asked.

"A little, I just wanted to get a drink of water and check on you. Why aren't you trying to get some rest? This whole thing is going to be so much harder with less sleep you know." He doesn't reply for awhile until he stands up next to me as I pour myself some water.

"You are right, I'm going to try and get some sleep. Good night." He walks into the cart I just came from and I am alone again. I look out the window into the night as we pass the ocean. Oh how I would trade any of these luxurious things to spend a minute in the water. After a few minutes, the view decreases, and we are surrounded by trees, so I walk to my room.

When I get to the next cart, I hear Annie crying. I feel bad for her and everything, but she's the one who is supposed to be there for us, not the way around.

"Annie?" I knock on her door. "Annie? It's me, Kaya. Are you okay?" Her weeping continues, which is making me more scared than I am already. She opens up her door and gives me a long hug. When she lets go she looks at me for a second.

"I'm okay," She says with a smile. "Go back to sleep, okay?" Then she returns to her bed and the crying stops. I head back to my room and fall asleep.