Chapter 9-Preparation

I wake up on my back. and looking up at the ceiling. As I carefully get up, I examine my shoulder. It is still a little bit sore, but whatever the doctor shot into it, definitely worked.

Without changing out of my pajamas, I walk into the hallway to find Annie walking my way.

"Hi Kaya, how are you feeling?" She quietly asks.

"Mmm, better." I say.

"That's good. I was just about to check on you, but since you are up, let's go eat breakfast." She suggests.

We walk to the dining room where I find Elliot and Flishia eating. "Oh there you two are! How are you feeling Kaya?" Flishia readily asks.

"Better, the medicine the doctor gave me really worked." I reply.

"Well that's great! He would like to see you again to check up on you soon."

I nod and take my place next to Elliot. "So how did you do yesterday? What did you show them?" I ask.

"As I planned, I threw spears and knives. All of them landed right on target." He proudly announces. "I told everyone this last night, but you were sleeping and I didn't want to wake you." He directly tells me.

"It's okay, so tell me how they reacted!" I let myself say.

"They seemed pretty impressed, meaning they seemed pretty interested the whole time, then smiled and dismissed me." He adds.

"That's amazing! What score did you get?" I ask.

"Well," Flishia interrupts. "Since you were unable to perform yesterday, they will announce the scores after you go, which will be around noon, giving that the doctor says you are good to go." I nod and glance over back at Elliot. He must be so curious of what he scored. If I were him, I wouldn't have slept a minute last night.

After breakfast, the doctor come in and examines my shoulder. I tell him it is a bit sore, but he said it's fine. "There is one thing you should know though Kaya." He adds. "Since you are in the games, and you want to be one hundred percent in the arena, I wouldn't put too much stress on that shoulder now."

"But, I have my training session today, and I throw with this arm." I point to my right arm.

"Well, you have a decision to make. Either put all your best in training, or in the arena." He gets up and gets his stuff together. "Feel better and good luck." I shake his hand and give him my thanks.

Well now throwing spears is not a good idea. Throwing knives would be even worse considering I am not as good as throwing them. Archery? That involves my shoulder. Tying knots? Yeah, that wouldn't give me a high score. Combat is definitely out of the question.

I run quickly back to my bedroom and cry. This is so frustrating! How am I going to get sponsors if I do poorly in training? On my bed I hear someone knocking on my door. "W-who is it?" I say as I clean myself up. Annie enters my room and sits down next to me.

"What's wrong?" She quietly asks. I am too busy freaking out about the session to ask her why she is being more involved with me.

"I don't know what to show them." I sigh.

"Well, maybe this will help you. Do you want to know what I did last year when I was in your place?" She asks. "I simply went to most stations and showed them I can do many things."

"That's pretty clever, what score did you get?" I ask in curiosity.

"Nine." She replies. "So maybe you can throw a few knives, spears, and other stuff, but then show them fire starting and camouflage so you don't put too much stress on your shoulder." She suggests. I lean over and give her a big hug.

"Thank you Annie, for the advice." I say. She smiles and leaves my room. That was pretty thoughtful of Annie, maybe she isn't such a bad mentor after all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I just saw that this story has over 100 reads! Thank you guys sooo much! I have lots more planned, so stay tuned :)

I am also writing a Divergent fanfic called "Taking Chances" and this is what it's about: Annie is a sixteen year old girl from Amity. Choosing day is comming up, and she has a major decision to make. Will the aptitude test influence her decision? Can she keep her secrets? Read to find out.