Chapter 5-Welcome to the Capitol

In the middle of my restless sleep, I feel someone shaking me. "Kaya! Wake up!" I turn over to see Flishia awake as ever. Her face is covered in fresh makeup and her hair done professionally. I turn over to see the clock which blinks three in the morning.

"Flishia, why are we up? It's three in the morning." I complain as I pull my pillow over my head.

"We would have reached the Capitol before midnight if we didn't have that problem with the train earlier...but we arrived and you can continue sleeping in a little bit." She explains as she pulls me pillow away.

So I get up, get out of the warm comforting bed and walk across the cold floor with my bare feet. After I get dressed in prepared capitol provided clothes, I grab a little cinnamon muffin as we get off the train and hold hands with Elliot.

Since it was three in the morning, I was expecting us to just get to our room in the Capitol and I can go back to sleep. I was wrong. A few hundred citizens of the Capitol were screaming and cheering "District four!" "Kaya!" "Elliot!" I was surprised, not only because I was still sleepy and not fully awake yet, but that they knew my name already. Only yesterday I was at the secret beach with Elliot, and now we are being cheered on by complete freaks. When they see us holding hands, they completely lost it. We both wave, still holding onto each other, and I even blew a few kisses into the air.

~

The next morning I find myself waking up on the couch. Confused, I walk into the dining room and find everyone eating breakfast. "Why was I on the couch? I thought I fell asleep in my bed, I mean at least I thought i did..." I rub my eyes, trying to wake up.

"I stayed up after the train, and I saw you sleepwalking over towards me. You slept next to me the remainder of the night." Elliot explained. I giggle a little and my cheeks turn red.

"Okay then! Um, so what's the plan for today?" I grab a plate of pancakes and sit down at the table.

"Well, the rest of the districts are arriving throughout the day since they are a bit further away. So from districts one through six get, if you would say, a 'free day' in the capitol. After two o'clock you will meet you stylists and prep team as they prepare you for the opening ceremony tonight!" Flishia announces. That’s it? Just a beauty day? Well it’s the least the capitol could do since twenty three of us will be dead within a week.