Chapter 8-An Idea

Two days go by and the training continues. By now, Crystal, Brandi, and I have hit all of the stations. From fire starting to weight lifting, we own have our own strengths. Although I am having fun with my new friends, I wondered how Elliot was doing. Despite being the oldest, did he exactly fit in as a career?

I am back upstairs getting ready for the private session. We get a little bit of time to stand in front of the gamemakers and show them our strengths.

Getting ready for the session is nerve wrecking. If I don't get a high score, there will be no chance of me coming home. We could be standing in a tundra arena like my late uncle, and a sponsor giving me a scarf or gloves can very well save my life.

What should I show them? My perfect spear skills? My knot tying skills? Should I show them my improving knife throwing? This is a decision I can't make on my own, so I have to get advice. Annie isn't much help, she is probably crying in her room now. So much for being our mentor.

"Elliot? Are you in there?" I knock on his door.

"Hey, what's up?" I walk into his room, which is very similar to mine.

"I was wondering what you are planning to do for training later." I say.

"You know, my spear throwing and knife skills." Elliot answers. So I should do spears... "But, I did think of showing them my archery skills. You know, what I've been trying to perfect the majority of the time, but I think it's best to be safe than sorry." I nod in agreement. "Why? What are you doing?" He asks.

I sit down next to him on his bed. "Well obviously I am good at spear throwing and knot tying, but I was thinking about showing them my knife throwing-"

"Kaya, you can't take chances like this!" He interrupts. "If you want to do your best in the game, you will need sponsors. Please don't throw any knives," He takes my hands and puts them into his. "Do what you are best at."

"Okay," I say. "When are we supposed to be going down anyways?" I quickly change the subject.

"In a few minutes," he guesses.

"Elliot, I love you no matter what." I said.

"I love you too." He leans over and hugs me tightly.

A few minutes later we hear Flishia's heels clicking in the hallway. Boys and girls aren't allowed in the same bedroom, so I run over quietly into his closet and peek through the door crack.

"Oh there you are Elliot! You have to be down in training in five minutes." Flishia happily says.

"Okay." Elliot replies. I assume she is leaving by the way she turns away, and I start to get out.

"By the way," Flishia starts as she comes back in and Elliot shoots me a quick look. I back up and bang my right shoulder against the railing. I quietly sit down and bite my lip to deal with the pain. "Do you know where Kaya is? I can't seem to find her anywhere..." I hear Flishia ask.

"Umm...maybe just walking around?" Elliot suggests.

"Well, I will find her. You just get ready." Flishia says as she walks out the door.

The closet door opens before me. "Are you okay?" Elliot asks.

"Yeah just banged up my shoulder." I inform him.

"Can you still throw?" He asks with concern. I shrug my shoulder and it releases pain.

"Ow!" I quietly say.

"What are you going to tell them? Hey I just slipped in a closet?" He wonders. I laugh a little because it's true.

"Uh..." I start. "I am going to get my wedges that I wore to the chariot ride, and when Flishia finds me sitting on the floor holding my shoulder, I will tell her I fell and hit my shoulder."

"That should work. Only you should leave first, and I will leave within a few minutes." He kisses me on the forehead and helps me out.

I quietly sprint to my room, every step in pain, where I find my wedges that I wore to the chariot ride on the floor. I find a good spot in the hallway, so I sit down and put them on loosely. Flishia turn the corner and rushes to me.

"Oh Kaya, are you okay?" She asks.

"Uh, I was practicing walking in these wedges, like you said I should a few nights ago, and fell." I lie. She gives me her hands to help me up. I give her both my hands and jerk my right arm back as soon as she pulls. "Ow!" I say involuntarily. She looks for an explanation. "My shoulder hurts, I must have hit it."

"Oh, let’s take these shoes off and you can get yourself up." She suggests. Flishia helps me get off the shoes, and I get up. "Do you think it is dislocated?" Right when I open up my mouth to talk, she orders a silent servant to fetch a doctor.

She sits me down on the couch with an ice pack and puts on the TV. I watch as Annie leads Elliot down the elevator. He smiles at me as the elevator doors close.

"Flishia, what am I supposed to do for my training?" I ask in panic.

"I suppose you can go tomorrow if you feel any better-"

"If it is dislocated, how is it supposed to heal that fast?" I interrupt.

"The Capitol is very medically advanced compared to the districts. You will probably feel better by the time you wake up tomorrow!" She informs me. I think back a few years when Brent slipped by the swimming pool and twisted his ankle. It took him months to be able to walk on his own.

When the doctor comes in, he examines my shoulder and asks me questions. He gives me a few shots into the shoulder and then later gives me some pain medication. Somehow I end up in my bed and fall asleep.