☆Chapter 12: Candied Apples☆

"He's not dead." 

Gumball's words bounced back and forth in Fionna's mind. It took her a moment before she could finally stop the tears from flowing, but when they stopped the girl looked down at the boy in her arms and gently set him down on the floor. 

     "Not dead..." She repeated, her lips trembling a bit as she stared at the gruesome sight.

Marshall's blood slowly formed a puddle around his body and after a few more seconds, the red liquid slowly began to dissipate into thin air. 

She gasped at the sight before putting her ear to his chest: no heartbeat. 

She moved her ear further up and held her own breath as she waited to hear something. Anything

     "Hhh..." Marshall gasped for air and suddenly bolted up. 

Moving away before the vampire could hit his head against hers, Fionna stared in awe as Marshall began his ritual of feeling himself up again. 

Pointed ears.

No pulse. 

Bite marks on the neck. 

Pale gray-green skin. 

Heck yeah! Marshall Lee was back in business.

The vampire king was back!

     "Oh, Marshall!" Fionna cried out and shot her arms out to hug him.

Marshall offered a faint smile and slowly returned the hug before looking up, only to find Gumball looking down at the two of them with a rather disinterested look. 

      "Eh. Why not, Gumwad." And with a quick reach, Marshall pulled the Prince down into their little cuddle puddle. 

Fionna laughed when Gumball fell into their hugging mess, and couldn't help but embrace the two of them tightly.

      "A-hem." Cake interjected, her arms crossed over her chest.

      "As much as I love to see you all laughing and hugging things out, we still have a certain Ice Queen to deal with." 

     "Oh, right." Fionna laughed awkwardly and pursed her lips together as she waited for the hug fest to end. 

     "I think she's pretty much finished..." Gumball stood up and rubbed his chin. 

     "Yeah, how 'bout we just blow this popsicle stand and go somewhere else?" Marshall grinned and floated onto his back while resting his head on his arms. 

Fionna nodded happily and took another look at the unconscious Ice Queen before hopping onto Lord Monochromicorn's back. Cake and the Lord made a really good duo. Maybe even better than her and Cake... but nothing could ever replace her love for her feline sister. 

Fionna hugged Cake close to her as they all rode back to the Candy Kingdom.

     "You missed a lot while you were gone. I'll tell you about it when things calm down."

+++

     "I said to add sugar! Not salt!" Gumball cried out in horror as he smacked away Marshall's hand and took the pot off the stove. 

     "This is sugar." Marshall glared at the Prince and set down the white container. 

     "Did you taste it?" Gumball frowned.