Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Nora looked straight ahead and attempted to appear hard and focused as she made her way past Erikson. She could feel her nails digging into her palms as she balled her hands into fist to stop them from shaking.

"Nora." Erikson breathed her name as she thundered past.

"Nora." He grabbed her wrist pulling her forcefully backwards.

She spun into his chest only to push roughly away from him.

"Please, can we talk?"

His voice was so soft, so gentle, like speaking to a caged animal.

"Don't you touch me." She hissed and tried to push past him only to be blocked.

"Nor-"

"No." She cut him short "Do not talk to me ever again. I've finally learned the truth of your crimes."

And with that she brushed past him her pulse thundering in her ears.

She was just about to make it to the powder room when she was caught around the waist and hauled backwards into a sparsely furnished office. The door slammed shut and locked before she had a chance to steady herself.

"You know what? No." Erikson spat leaning against the door.

"You're not running away, I'm not running away. We're going to have this discussion right now." He came closer "It's very overdue Nora."

There was venom in his voice. She had never heard him so angry which made her falter.

"Truth of my crimes, huh? What crimes are those? That the woman I loved left one day without saying a word and all I hear is that she's with child from none other than the stone mason's son? I wonder how long that had been going on..."

Nora's anger returned tenfold in a second and she laughed bitterly.

"I never knew you to be a liar Erikson and you certainly were never one to play the victim."

"I think it is very clear who the liar in this is!"

Nora shook her head, sick of dancing around it. "You're the one who told the court I was pregnant with some other man's child! Eloise told me all about it. You know I would never have asked a penny from you."

"I did no such thing!" He took a step closer to her his chest heaving.

"Haven't you caused me enough pain? Please, just leave me alone." Nora could feel tears threatening to spill.

"I loved you. I loved you more than anything in the world and when you told me that night that you were with child...I have never felt more joy." He took another step and reached for her.

Nora sidestepped away from him, turning so he wouldn't see her tears.

"You don't have to lie. I've accepted my situation. It's been many years."

"Nora. I never set foot in any court." He said exasperated.

"And I'd never let another man claim our child." He ground out the words through gritted teeth.

"And what about you? You heard the claims! Why not refute them? Ashamed of a farm boy?"

"How dare you!" She spun around.

"I did it to save your life and that of your families! If I had claimed you were the father how would you have supported us? You and your mother were barely keeping the farm alive! The court would have forced us to marry or exiled me! It was easier for me to leave and keep the rumors afloat rather than suffering the extreme poverty that we both knew was inevitable."

Erik stalked forward grabbing her shoulders and routing her in place.

"Tell me that stone mason's son never touched you or you him."

"How dare you even ask me that! How dare you doubt me, even now, even after I'v-"

"Nora. Just. Please. I have to hear you say it." He shook her, his stare burning into her eyes.

She softened slightly. "No. It was only you, it's only ever been you." She whispered, looking away.

Tears soaked their way down her cheeks as Erikson tilted her chin up.

"On my father's grave I swear I never stepped foot in any court to denounce you. I died the day you left. And when I thought I may live again I heard you had...." His eyes glittered with unshed tears. "Had...lost the baby—I died again."

"You were the only other person who knew..." Nora sobbed taring her chin away from his grasp.

Erikson shook his head bewildered then stopped.

Nora also stopped, realization hitting.