Chapter Five

Chapter Five

***

Ten years ago, my mom, dad, and I met a car accident on our way to the mall. It was when my lines crossed, it was when all I knew was falling, it was when my heart changed.

It was an early summer morning in our neighborhood. "Rosie, you should really get a haircut!" Dad said then carried me up his shoulders, "Honey, are you done changing yet?"

"You can't rush a queen dear." Mom replied with a hum. Dad and I then walked outside to the car to wait for mom to finish changing. I quickly hopped on the backseat and fastened my seatbelt while dad smiled at me. I wasn't much of a talker when I was little, I'd usually answer with a nodd or a faint shrug. Dad then turned the radio on, closed the door and went back inside to check on mom. After a while, mom and dad then went back, but as they were heading their way to the car, they looked like they were arguing about something.

"I'm telling you, I've already payed the electricity bills last week!" Dad said loudly as he entered and hopped on the driver's seat. Mom follows shortly, but instead of sitting beside dad like she always does, she sat beside me. I looked up mom's face and it was covered in anger, she noticed my stare and quickly changed her facial expression into her heart warming smile.

"What's wrong mom?" I asked.

"Oh, it's nothing dear." Mom replied briefly. Dad then drives off to the road without saying a thing.

The car was silent, this was different than the other car rides we've had. The only sound heard was the jazz music played on the radio. We'd share stories and laugh together so we wouldn't feel the time while we drove. We reached the main road in less then ten minutes and dad sped up. I noticed that both mom and dad didn't wear their seatbelts, dad always taught me that seatbelts are important things that keep me growing, or to say, they keep me alive.

"Daddy, you should wear your seatbelt." I said to dad while his face was in a dead stare into the road.

"Oh, right! Of course." He broke from his stare and said it lively. He then reaches one hand for the seatbelt but couldn't pull it immediately so he glanced over to check what was keeping the belt from getting pulled. Before we knew it, the car went swaying from left to right. Mom held me, with her eyes closed. Dad struggled with the steering wheel. The world around me spun, and then, mom went flying away from me, dad too. I couldn't get a hold of what was going on, I felt like throwing up, but I couldn't.

I heared screams and screeches from the burning tires. I remained on my seat while the rest of the world flew across me. This was where my lines overlapped, a short flash of light jolted through me eyes and then darkness took over. The dark engulfed me, I felt like I was asleep but I couldn't dream.

The peace I felt felt good, I felt like I was free, I felt like falling. Suddenly, I started hearing multiple voices and the sound of wheels running on tiles. I slowly opened my eyes and saw light above me, I was on something moving. I then glanced to my left and to my right and saw men and women wearing all white. Doctors and nurses? Was I in a hospital? Shame, I hate hospitals, the doctors are always scary with their needles, but dad would never let me down, he'd have his back dugg from my nails.

My head felt like cracking, I couldn't focus my vision. The different noises made me drowsy but I didn't want to go in the dark place again.

"Where am I?" I said in a faint voice, still confused from what was happening.

"You're at home dear, it's going to be alright." A fair lady in white on my right said with her hands on the bed I was on.

We then moved into a room which was dimmer than the halls we were in. "Where's mom and dad?" I asked the fair lady.