Chapter 4: Memories

On our way back I started trying to process everything that's happened so far. It just doesn't make sense. I thought. I saw Chell smiling at the cube in the bot's hands. I was almost offended. It would figure, though. Most test subjects tend to grow fond of the thing.

I started thinking about why GLaDOS would just stop like that. Which lead me to wonder why Doug thought his plan would work in the first place. I mean, I'm glad he did, but on any other day, that would've never worked.

"Here's an interesting story..." Doug began.

Immediately I began thinking back to my own quote. The one where I talked about getting the job, tending to the humans. The smelly humans. I'm not going to lie, she was pretty smelly at the time. I feel bad for the girl, for everything I had done to her. I imagine it hurt her, knowing I was her only friend. When I think about it, it must've hurt her a million times more, knowing that she had feelings for me.

Doug continued.
"...That cube that she's holding right there? That had once belonged to me."

Her face was filled with shock. Why couldn't I ever get that out of her?

..."That's right. That was the cube that I had gotten from the test. When I had it, I made the den, and then I made my way out with the cube on my back. He guided me through it all... The only reason you're standing here today is because of him."

What?! I thought. This guy is crazy. First of all, it's not a he. It's an it. And it can't save people. This guy must have superstition. Then it came to me. He had been guided by the superstition. But how did it save him? I mean, it's not like it's actually speaking relative information to him. It can't, it's only his brain.

"Once you had been freed, I gave you the cube. I was worried you didn't get it. But you did. It's not in the best condition, but I can't do much about it. She must've found it while she was out here."

Finally, we had returned to the house Late at night. I hadn't been talking much, just thinking about all of the times we had together. It was always so easy for me to remember that stuff. I can remember it like it's still happening.

Chell took the cube and placed it in a corner by the couch. To be honest, I never thought we would use it. Then Kevin had finally noticed me. That's his name, by the way. I had only just found out recently.

"EARTH BUDDY! EARTH COP, CHELL!"

His cheerfulness quickly stopped when he saw Doug. I thought of something quickly, before he started whining about that.

"This is uhmm... The-the new earth sheriff! He's new to the job and he's a nice sheriff, just like Officer Chell!"

She grabbed her pen and notepad. She quickly scribbled a 'Thank You' with a heart at the bottom. If I could get ahold of that notepad, I could count all of the hearts she's used so far. She was smiling, probably from the 'Officer Chell' thing, but it made me feel good.

Then Kevin started introducing Chell to Doug and we all started laughing.

That night, I had a bad dream. I don't want to say it was a nightmare, though. I had dreamt about when I took over the facility, which was enough to kill me. But then I realized what the dream was spotlighting. I had just started beating the escape elevator in to the pit. That's what it was about.

That was the absence in the story. Where was she when I did it? In the dream, I heard the same word echoing in my brain over and over again. "Caroline, Caroline, Caroline." I didn't see anything except for the pit. What was down there?

I heard something, or someone, lurking around the house. I heard a drawer open, followed by a few things rustling around. Then it stopped. I heard a few pages turning and finally, out of curiosity, I opened my ocular slightly. I saw a figure flipping through Chell's notepad. It was Doug. His back was turned. I closed my ocular again before he saw me and let him carry on. I understood.

I felt bad for the guy. He had liked her too, I assume, and he didn't get her. He wanted to see how close she was with me. I guess she was one of the only people he ever knew, as well. Just like me. I slowly drifted off to sleep and finally dreamt of our escape. She was doing a Hard-Light Bridge test with a button and a storage cube. I had just opened up the wall to let her out and then I woke up in the next day. It's amazing how that works.

I guess she had heard me from the living room and she walked in and have me a smile. She hooked me onto the rail and I went right to the couch to disengage, where Kevin had greeted me once again.

We were always found on the couch. It was a bit odd. I shrugged off the thought and started chatting with Kevin about my dream.

"Caroline? Maybe that's the cube name!"

I'm going to give credit when it's due, that was a pretty good theory. Maybe that was the name that Doug had given it.

"Maybe." I said, staring at the cube.

I was caught in a train of thought, trying to think of who Caroline was, when the cube started glowing.

"Chell!" I alerted her.

She panicked, I kind of did, too. And Kevin was definitely panicking. It could've been good, but it was from Aperture, so I wouldn't say that.

A few moments later the edges of the cube opened up and sprayed gas into the room. It wasn't, neurotoxin, though. Neurotoxin is much thicker. I didn't know what to do other than scream Chell's name.

Soon, Chell and Doug had fallen to the ground and I couldn't see, but I was still there. I could here footsteps, followed by Kevin's panicking.

"Chell! Doug! Please!"