Chapter 7: Adoption?

Before we came home, I caught Wheatley in a train of thought, thinking of something to say to 'Kevin', I think he's called. He was a bit annoying, but it isn't that hard to deal with. When we walked through the door, I waited to hear him scream about my mom while I connected Wheatley to his rail.

Nothing. Absolutely silent.

"Hello!? Kevin?! Are you in sleep mode already?! You might need that energy, you know!" He called.

"Maybe he ran out of batteries." GLaDOS-I mean, Mom suggested.

"Cores don't have a battery supply, you know. Did the whole 'Human Transfer' thing make you more, not so smart?"

I was kind of shocked at his remark. Maybe he's just less scared of her now that she's human, or now that he knows who she really is.

"Actually, that is true. I lost a bit of intellect but I'm fine. But that's unrelated, the Space Core does have a battery supply. It's just extremely powerful. The engineers designed it like that for him and not you because he is much less important. Not that you are important, you're less important than that Adventure Core. He dreamed big."

"The more you know." Doug said,

This steamed Wheatley a lot.

"HE IS IMPORTANT! HE'S ONE OF THE TWO FRIENDS I'VE EVER HAD! WITHOUT HIM, I WOULDN'T BE HERE!"

"Calm down. Sorry, I don't think I said that loud enough. CALM DOWN!!" She screamed.

He continued, ignoring her.

"AND RICK?! RICK MAY HAVE DREAMT BIG, BUT HE NEVER GOT ANYWHERE, DID HE?! WHERE DID I GET?! I GOT TO THE TOP!"

"What's his deal with Rick?" Asked Doug. I shrugged.

"THE ONLY THING THOSE BLOODY CORES WERE GOOD FOR WAS TO CORRUPT ME, AND TO SWEET TALK WOMEN THAT I LIKE!"

I almost blushed. Almost. He finally stopped, panting very hard.

"They-they were all my friends. At least I thought they were. I tried to be their friends. They just made fun of me for being an Intelligence Dampening Sphere, for the adoption, and because I had no positive use. If only I knew they were corrupted, I could've avoided embarrassment for about 50,000 years."

"I almost feel bad for the moron. I don't, though. Also, now that I'm your mother, I'm not sure if I'm okay with you two dating." She said, her arms crossed.

"We aren't dating, we're just, you know."

Now I was blushing. I looked up at him.

"We're-we're together. Not dating. You can't date a Core."

"Oh, that reminds me. I sent up flight for the other cores yesterday. They should be here in 12 hours at the least."

He quickly snapped back into his steamy mood.

"REALLY?! I HAVE A HORRIBLE PAST WITH THEM! YOU KNOW THAT! YOU KNOW, I'VE BEEN THINKING HOW YOU CALL EVERYONE A MONSTER, WHO'S THE MONSTER HERE?! AND HOW IN APERTURE DID YOU HIRE SOMEONE FOR THAT?!"

"Yeah, I was getting to that... You know how Space Core's missing?"

"WHAT?! YOU ARE TEN TIMES WORSE AS A HUMAN! HE'S THE ONLY VOICE I HAVE AROUND HERE OTHER THAN MY CONSCIOUS!"

I thought about him being in space again with nothing but his thoughts to listen to. My eyes starting watering. For a core with no limbs or skull or body, he can affect a lot I things. Physically and emotionally.

"I know, it's great, right? Ten times as worse. I never thought being human would have any benefits at all."

Wheatley was very frustrated. He used his 'Stomping sound effect' to storm out of the room on his rail. He quickly came back, realizing that he doesn't have his own room yet. My mom face palmed at this. To be honest, I was kind of irritated with her as well.

"Are you mocking me with your stomping processor?! You know I lost my amazing slow clap processor in the transfer! And what was that you said about an adoption?"

His eye shrunk to the small ball again.

"A what? I didn't say that at all! I'm not adopted."

"Well then..." Said Doug.

"You really need to fix that. You are not a good liar, like me."

I glared at her.

"What? Cake isn't a bad lie, is it? It worked on you."

"I really can't talk about this right now. Just-just leave me alone."

With that, he disengaged in my room, we could hear him crying.

"An adoption? That may just be the one thing I didn't know about anything."

Now I really felt bad for him. I know how it feels to be adopted. Or at least to think that you are.