VIII

Louis’ POV

“I’m telling you, Louis, she drives me mad!” Niall exclaimed before I even managed to open the door fully; he looked proper mad, his eyes dark, his lips pursed and his hair even more all over the place than usual. He rushed by me and into my house, not bothering to take off his stupid ass Supras as he stomped into my living room. If you looked really close, you could see smoke coming out of his ears.

“Hello to you too, Niall, I’m fine, thank you, yes, of course you can come in” I said, following him into the living room where he plopped on the couch, groaning and rubbing his eyes in frustration.

“Why did I even invite her in the first place?” he asked himself more than me and dropped his hands to his lap, his eyes squeezed closed as he hit the back of his head into the couch repeatedly. I sat next to him, patting his shoulder, and he stopped and looked at me with a pleading look in his eyes, silently begging me to have an answer for his question.

“I don’t know mate, I was surprised, too, when you asked Maddie for her address.” I said, and it was true. Maddie and I had needed a ride to the field, and I asked Niall, knowing he would gladly help us. When he’d casually dropped the question in the middle of the conversation, Maddie and I both stopped and exchanged looks. I was one of Niall’s best friends, but even I barely ever knew what was going on in his head when it came to girls. And this one was the biggest question mark ever.

“What was I thinking? That we’d talk? We barely said a word to each other the whole day!” he laughed bitterly before he let out a groan. “And then, and then! – I dropped her off, like, half an hour ago, only to see another guy waiting for her, and I bet it was that Jake guy, and she practically glued herself to him, in front of me, and it wasn’t just a normal hug, she clung onto him like a fucking koala or something” he said and I burst out laughing. I barely understood anything, he made no sense.

“It’s not funny” he said, but the corners of his mouth tugged up as he punched my shoulder, “Stop laughing, you prick, I’m having a problem here!”

I stopped laughing finally, “What is your problem here exactly?” I asked, genuinely wanting to know.

“What do you mean, what’s my problem exactly?” he asked back like I had asked the most ridiculous question in the world. “She is my problem, the way she acts! Sometimes I feel like she’s in love with me, and other -”

“Do you want her to be in love with you?” I cut him off.

“What? No! God, no, she would be one of those dramatic clingy types, it’s hard enough like this” he said, sneering and shaking his head. “But what do you think, how did I feel after I dropped her back home because she said she had to do her homework and it appeared the homework was about the fucking reproductive system?” He spoke really fast and incoherent when he was mad, it was kind of funny. I bit the inside of my cheek because I knew he’d get even madder if I laughed in his face. Again.

“And don’t get me started on her ignoring me the whole day, like, the fuck, we didn’t even make out or anything” he huffed out, shaking his head in disbelief. Ah, so there it was, the problem.

“So basically, you wanted to get in her pants two days in a row and you couldn’t” I concluded, making Niall’s head shoot up to look at me.

“It sounds really bad when you say it like that” he said, scrunching his nose.

“But it’s the way it is, isn’t it?” I said, “If you had, it wouldn’t have been a problem that a guy was waiting for her” I stated, but it was something about his expression and the way his brows furrowed when I had said it that made me suspicious. “Niall… it’s not about the fact she might be seeing someone other than you, is it?” It that was the case, it was far more serious than Niall wanted to admit.