Epilogue

*5 years later*

“Okay, guys. I think we’re done for today. You were exceptionally good today, so, as a reward, I won’t give you any homework -” I was interrupted by loud cheers of the teenagers in front of me, and I had to laugh, “Have a good weekend, everyone! I’ll see you on Monday” I finished, collecting the notes I prepared and used for the class, grabbing my purse and waiting for the last student to exit the classroom before I followed.

The weekend. Finally.

It was my very first job as a teacher, and although it was rather fun, it was also stressful. I had to prove myself to the principal, and my biggest fear had been that I wouldn’t have any authority, but it seemed the kids accepted me and respected me. I had no idea why, but they did. But still, I was paranoid about them changing their behavior any minute. I had to be careful. That was why it was stressful.

But now, I was heading home. Our home. To him. As I got out of the building, I wondered if he had made his famous pasta – I was starving. I smiled at the thought of him hovering over the stove, waiting for the spaghetti to cook so he could finally eat. He hated that part the most, the waiting.

Then, my phone started ringing and I saw the familiar name on the screen. I answered with the biggest grin on my face.

“Mads, babe, I haven’t heard from you in ages! How are you?” I exclaimed, unlocking my car and tossing the purse on the passenger seat.

We spoke that morning.

“Har har” she grumbled, “How funny. I can’t breathe, my tummy hurts. You’re hilarious, Y/N.”

I plopped on the driver seat, furrowing my brows in confusion. “Whoa, what happened to you?”

I heard her sigh a long, shaky sigh. “Louis Tomlinson happened” she said. Oh, so that was what bothered her.

Maddie and Louis broke up about five months ago or so, but since they were together for so long, she still wasn’t over him. The fact he was on TV basically all the time didn’t help either. She tried to act as if she had gotten over him, because that was what the Maddie I knew before would do, but it looked like Louis left far bigger mark on her than anyone else she ever dated.

About five months ago, Louis sat on the sofa in the living room of their apartment and told her he had met somebody.

He hadn’t cheated on her, but he had felt something for someone else, and not wanting to hide anything from her, since she was one of his best friends first, and girlfriend second, he thought she deserved to know.

Maddie, being the strong girl I loved so much, appreciated his honesty but told him that what he had just told her changed everything. She strongly believed that, if everything was going right between them, he wouldn’t have even noticed the girl. And since being an aspiring lawyer clashed with dating an international rock star, they had their issues, naturally. Issues that piled up over the time.

Their break up was mutual, and very painful for the both of them. But if I was being honest, it hit Maddie far harder than him. It resulted in her not getting out of the apartment for a week straight, excessive listening to Lana del Rey and a lot of vodka being consumed.

Five months later, it was better, much better; but sometimes, Maddie would call out of the blue, like now, and huff and scoff and, sometimes, even cry. I loved Lou, I really did, he was a great guy; but I hated him for hurting her so much without even knowing.

“The fucker is back in town for a couple of days” she explained, “and I decided I won’t leave the house during that period. I planned everything out, I bought food and everything -”