XVII

“Maddie, what the actual fuck, I can’t do this” I breathed out, the realization dawning upon me. What was I doing?

Maddie scoffed from behind me, where she was giving the final touches to my hairdo. She put a hand on my shoulder and walked around so she was facing me, “Of course you can, silly; just calm down and everything will be okay” she said confidently, but panic was already overflowing me.

“He’ll laugh in my face - I told him we weren’t good for each other” I said, my eyes growing wide in horror, my palms sweating and my heart trying to beat its way out of my chest.

Maddie, bless her soul, remained calm. “Well, now, tell him you’ve made a mistake, you’re only human” she told me, “You both have, so it’s a tie. And if, in some crazy case, he ends up saying no, then he’s an ass and you don’t need him anyway” she shrugged her shoulder, indifferent. Man, I wish I felt the same way.

The boys had got back from the tour that morning, and Maddie had found out from Louis (they were still together, those made-for-each-other fuckers) that they were planning on having a drink or two at the Dylan’s that night. The preparations started immediately – Maddie had come over, bringing her best clothes and about a suitcase full of makeup and hair tools, and while she did her magic on me, I recited what we decided was the best to say to Niall when I see him – the truth. It wasn’t until Maddie was almost finished that anxiety crept up on me, leaving me in total distress.

So many things could go wrong. Why did I even bother?

“Look, missy, I know you’re dying of fear right now, but don’t even think of chickening out; I’ve just spent two hours making this masterpiece out of your ratty hair” she half joked, making me crack a smile. I stepped towards her, pulling her into a hug, squeezing tightly.

“You’re great, you know that?” I said, smiling into her shoulder.

“Oh I know” Maddie said, making me snort with laughter before I pushed her off me.

It was weird walking into the familiar pub; the last time I had been there, I went home with Niall and we were still in that phase where we pissed off and turned each other on at the same time. I remembered feeling like I would fall for the guy, and now it happened. And now I was stalking the one place he visited regularly to see if I could make him fall for me like I fell for him.

Maddie and I took the seats at the bar and ordered two shots, just to calm my nerves a little; Jake was supposed to come a little later and bring some people, so I wouldn’t be as transparent as if I was with just Maddie, who was most probably going to disappear as soon as Louis walked into the place.

I nervously fidgeted with my half up-do and the simple but, hopefully, flattering above-the-knee length dress Maddie got me into, every two seconds glancing over my shoulder towards the door, waiting for him to walk in. I sank my teeth into the nail of my thumb, making Maddie slap my hand away from my mouth.

“What’s the matter with you, child? You’re acting crazy” she told me, shooting daggers my way.

“Because I am going crazy, shit, I’m not ready to see him, Mad, I’m not even sure I’ll be able to form a coherent sentence around him!” I said.

“Well I guess you’re about to find out” she mumbled under her breath before he turned all smiles.

“What?” I asked, not catching up until I heard Louis’ voice behind me.

“Babe!” he exclaimed, running towards Maddie and picking her up from her seat, burying his head in her neck and hugging her tightly. I watched the scene in front of me with a smile; they were so cute it almost always made me sick, but not this time; this time, I wished Niall did the same to me.