Chapter 28

Dedicated to Charlii93 for curing my writer's block with her new story(s)!

Check them out! She's amazing!!!

Chapter 28

                My mouth was filled with cotton, my heart beating so fast I thought it’d jump out of my throat. I unsteadily reversed out of the driveway and sped down the road.

I drove through and passed so, so many stoplights and sign I was surprised I wasn’t stopped by police yet. Maybe I was just lucky.

If I was in luck, I just hoped and prayed the luck was still stuck onto me by the time I’d reach the Headquarters.

I took another sharp turn, my body slamming slightly against the side of the car from the momentum. I took a deep breath and pressed down on the accelerator fully when I got to the empty highway road. The car lurched forward and a sheet of perspiration was coating my body, out of terror and the anticipation of just getting to the Headquarters on time.

3 miles. I could get there in a few minutes at this speed. I leaned forward, eyes stuck on the road.

2 and a half more miles. I could make it. I believed I could make it- butterflies swarmed in my stomach, my arms and legs shaky. I could make it. I had to.

The car started shaking from driving so fast. I drove like that for a few seconds before releasing the pressure on the pedal. Instantly, the car stopped shaking.

And just as the car stopped shaking, a clunk followed by a loud pop emitted from the back of the car.

“No, no, no, no, no, no!” I cried as the car slowed down to a stop. I drove to the side of the road just as the car came to a full stop. I sat there for a few seconds, processing, before grabbing my keys and sprinting out down the road.

I can run 2 miles. It isn’t a big deal. I kept telling myself.

Seven minutes later and my lungs were on fire. A cramping pain was stabbing at my side, burning sensations begging my thighs to just slow down to stop. My feet ached and my mind was so exhausted to the point I thought I’d faint. But I closed my eyes and ran, though, paying attention to the rhythm of my feet hitting the pavement instead of the physical resistance my body was clearly giving to me.

Holden’s face was the image flashing behind my closed eyelids, and right now, that seemed to be the only thing keeping me running and going.

Now I was in front of the Headquarters, throat achingly dry. I was ready to puke from exhaustion but held it all in. I walked speedily to the front door and yanked it open.

The whole pack still thought Holden was alive, still thought I was Luna. I’d use it to my advantage. Only the inner circle (generals and the team of doctors that had worked on Holden at the hospital) knew of Holden’s death. We’d release Holden’s death and everything that had happened in a few days.

Right now the whole pack thought we’d just won a war. Soon, though, they’d be curious as to why Holden wasn’t showing himself. Word was that he was recovering from a minor injury…

Soon, though, all the matters would be at ease and the pack member’s suspicions would be arisen. If I got to Liam in time, if the execution of the witches and wizards had yet to be done, then Holden could still live and the pack would never know of his death.

By now my heart beat at a normal pace and I had caught my breath. I looked around the main lobby. The workers all bowed and were silent. What was I supposed to do? I cleared my throat. “Are there any of the generals here, at this moment? It’s urgent.”