Chapter Sixteen: What's Important Ambrosia

Something's wrong, I can feel it in the air, Darrion's been gone too long. He should've been back by now.

He said he would be back.

"Dearie, please sit. all of that pacing is making me unsettled." Says Ma, her grey eyes looking over me with worry.

I stop and stand of the middle of the floor. "Sorry, but he should've been back by now... Something's wrong, I'm going after him." I tell her grabbing my cloak and getting ready to leave the tavern.

"Wait, just a minute. Didn't you tell me that Darrion, told you to stay here and wait. And from what you've told me he can more than handle himself."

"I know it's just..." I look outside of the windows. "I can't lose him... I only just found him..." I whisper.

I hear her sigh. "Just a few more minutes, give him a few more minutes. He seems like one to keep his word."

She was right, Darrion has yet to break his word to me. But something about this was different. The necklace I wore around my neck seemed to pulsate with the same feeling.

I slam the door open and head outside, ignoring Ma's protests. I didn't care if the phantoms came after me, I'd fight them off some how.

I finally reach the spot where our campsite was, the fire was out and the night was still, I could barely see in front of me. There was no movement, nor did I sense anyone's presence.

It's a good thing, but also a bad thing, if the phantoms aren't here, then where was Darrion?"

"Darrion?" I say. "Snow, Answer me!" And then I run into something nearly stumbling.

I look down to see the shape of a body at my feet, a male body. I crouch and cautiously turn them over. I am immediately greeted by a familiar face.

"Darrion, hey! What's wrong? talk to me!"

I get a slight groan in response, and then after that is silence.

Damn, I knew something was wrong!

***
After getting Darrion into the tavern, with the help of some neighbors that lived next to the inn, we were able to assess what damage had been done, it was ugly. Besides some minor bumps and bruises there was an big, ugly, festering wound that had obviously been there for a while.

"You idiot..." I whisper.

Exactly how long has had these wounds? And how did he manage to hide them from me? I mean he showed absolutely no signs of pain.

Could it be possible that he's been trying to heal himself?

Suddenly the door opens to the room where we had placed Darrion and Ma walks out.

"How is he?"

"Stable, but he still has a time of it... I've done all I can." She looks at me exasperated. "Any longer and he would've dropped dead at your feet."

I contain a shiver at the possibility.

"Can I see him?"

"Of course, why would you even ask?"

I smile slightly and then head back to the room. Darrion is lying on the bed and for the first time he's un-naturally still, a sheen of sweat covers his body from fever, his skin tone sickly and pale.

I take the seat next to his bed and grab one of his clammy hands. "You, idiot... What were you thinking? Why didn't you say anything?" I whisper. "Did you want to die? All of this to protect me?"

I laugh. "You need to think about yourself once in a while you know? You're important too, and I'm sure the future me would agree as well."

I feel his hand slightly apply pressure to mine.

So, he can hear me...

I stand up and press a slight kiss to his forehead, the necklace pulsates with warmth upon this action, as if in approval. After that it seemed that Darrion was breathing a little easier.

I spend the rest of the night guarding him.
***
The next morning I wake up in the chair I had been sitting in with a blanket draped over me. The sunlight filtering in through the small window.

I check Darrion's temperature, he definitely looked better. The fever is all but gone and he looked a lot more comfortable, his dressings had been changed, but he still hasn't regained consciousness.

Suddenly the peace of the morning is shattered by a scream and the shattering of glass.
//////////////////////////////////
Hey, sorry this one is so short! I hope you enjoyed it! Please don't for get to comment and vote! And as always, until the next time! ^_^/
-Flowereader230