27. I Can Do This

(Natalie's POV)

"I'm falling in love with you," I finally admit to him. My words are spoken softly, careful not to frighten him.

Eric looks at me, a slight look of uncertainty on his face, as if he's not entirely sure I just spoke those words.

I gulp, nervously, hoping that I didn't make a mistake by telling him this soon. We've only been together for about two weeks. And I'm not even sure if we're actually 'together.' We've yet to discuss what we are, as far as relationship statuses go. We've never even discussed our feelings for each other. But my heart tells me that telling him is indeed the right thing to do.

Eric opens his mouth, ready to say something, but words simply fail him.

I don't expect him to say those words back to me. I have a feeling that he's never even been this serious with another girl before. So, I don't expect him to feel the same way about me just yet. As I've said, we've only been like this for two weeks. It's probably more than too soon for him to feel the same way. But that's okay.

For a second, he has me thinking that I made a mistake by telling him, because he takes my right hand off his face. But then he brings my arm up and wraps it around the back of his neck where my other arm already is, bringing me a small sigh of relief. His eyes never leave mine as he places his hand back down on my lower back with his other one, bringing my body slightly closer against him.

"How do you know?" he asks, his voice barely above a whisper.

"How do I know that I'm falling in love with you?"

Eric nods.

I shrug my shoulders. "I... um," I pause, slightly shaking my head, not exactly sure how to explain it to him. "I don't really know how to explain it. I just know." I smile at him, trying to think of better words to present him with. "It's... the way you make me feel whenever I'm with you. Or, even when you're not around. You're... you're all I ever think about."

I pause for several seconds and press my lips together, trying to hold back any tears that are threatening to spill. A warm feeling courses throughout my body as my heart continues to flutter while we hold each other in our arms and gaze into each other's eyes. The room is barely lit with the dim lighting in this large room, but I can see an eagerness in his eyes, wanting me to continue.

"Eric, you're the only one I want. You're the only one I want to be with. I don't care about anybody else. You're the only person who matters to me, and I don't want to lose you. I don't want to lose what we have."

I feel his chest heavily rise and fall against mine as he breathes through his nose, still looking me in the eyes.

Eric then shakes his head at me. "You're not going to lose me."

My heart flutters uncontrollably in my chest just hearing him say those words. They bring a small sense of relief for me.

Eric takes another deep breath. "Say it again."

Say what again?

All of it?

"Say the words again," he says quietly.

A smile forms on my face as I feel the butterflies start to flutter in my tummy. He's not uncomfortable hearing those words at all. We wants to hear them, again.

I wrap my arms a little tighter around the back of his neck, bringing his face down closer to mine. Now he's just waiting for me to say the words again.