46. Birthday Girl

(Natalie's POV)

Even as I continue to stare at it, it's hard for me to believe. These past five weeks have been hell for me. Absolute hell. And now, I'm looking up at the rankings board in the dining hall, and everyone else who's made it along with me is celebrating with cheers of overwhelming joy. Stage one is officially over and done with. We made it. I made it. And my name is at the top of the board—the very first name.

I take a deep breath to try and let it register, but I honestly think it may take a while.

"Congratulations to those of you who made it," says Max. He stands on the balcony above us, leaning over the rail as he speaks to us, and Brian and Henry each stand to the side of him. "Enjoy your first full weekend off. But don't get too comfortable. Starting Monday, you'll be put through the trials of stage two, and that'll be a whole other series of tests for you to surpass. But, as for right now, celebrate. You've all earned it."

The crowd erupts in cheers, and an arm is suddenly thrown over my shoulder. "Whoo! Yeah!" Uriah shouts happily. He then laughs, making me smile. "Congrats, girl! You made first rank!"

I chuckle and pat him on the back. "And congrats to you! You made second!"

"Yes, indeed, I did!" he happily chimes. "You know what that means, don't you?" He bobs his head and does a dance, bending his knees and waving his hands up in the air a few times, moving his hips from side-to-side. "Parrrrr-tay!"

I burst into a fit of giggles, probably for the first time in several days.

He laughs and stops dancing right away. "No, for real, though. Zeke said if I ranked in the top three, he'd let me use his place to throw a party. Remember?"

"Oh, yeah," I say. "Right."

Jesse, Mia, and Tris all come up to us with smiles on their faces. "We made it, guys!" Mia cheers happily, and she practicality leaps into my arms and hugs me, causing me to laugh. "And you ranked first! Congratulations!"

I smile and thank her as I pull away, then hug Tris as she approaches my side. "And congrats to you," I say to her. "Glad you made it with us."

"Alright, alright!" Uriah interrupts. "Congrats, congrats, congrats, congrats! Anyway! You guys are all invited to my party tonight. It'll be at Zeke's place. Nine o'clock. Fifth floor, apartment 507. Be there or be square, pansycakes. Got to go!"

The four of us laugh as Uriah runs off, and Mia grabs Tris by the arm and pulls her away. "Come on! Let's go shopping for an outfit! We're gonna need something to look hot in at the party! You too, Natalie! Come on, let's go!"

"Umm... you guys go ahead," I say with a chuckle. "I'll, uh, catch up with you later."

"Ugh! Fine!" She and Tris walk off in a hurry as they chat excitedly, leaving Jesse and I left standing here together.

"So," I say with a smile. "You ranked fourth. Not too bad, if you ask me."

"Well... it's not as good as top initiate, but, hey, I can't complain."

I chuckle and pull him in for a hug. "Congratulations."

"You, too," he says. "You earned it, Nat. Remember that."

I sigh and take a step back, looking back up at the board.

Initiate Rankings:

1. Natalie
2. Uriah
3. Hunter
4. Jesse
5. Nathan
6. Michael
7. Marlene
8. Mia
9. Peter
10. Lynn
11. Clarissa
12. Tris