18 - Carnival

Finally, the day came. The biggest carnival was organized by the 'Woodstock High School' cultural team. Unlike all those years in the past, this year it was a hit. People were enjoying it.

"You guys did an outstanding job," Eddy told Evy, Owen, and Hailey.

All three acknowledged his appraisal. "Let's enjoy this carnival. I want to play games and even want to go on rides." Kayla exclaimed excitedly.

"Of course, Kay. So, shall we?" Carson put his hand forward for his girlfriend to hold it.

"Of course." Making her giggle.

Now only four of them were left. Hailey and Owen were looking awkwardly at each other. They didn't know if it was a good idea to leave Eddy and Evy alone.

"Guys, seriously. You two lovebirds go and have some fun." Evy said.

"No, it is fine. We are fine." Hailey stated to her best friend. She didn't want to leave Evy alone.

"Ok! If on the count of three, you two didn't vanish from my sight, then I'll never talk to both of you."

"Okay-okay, we are leaving," Owen said in defensive mode.

"Wait, Hailey!" Eddy spoke suddenly.

He took out the box from his pocket and gave it to her.

Hailey opened the box and found all the friendship bands that she once gave to Eddy in the past.

"Eddy, this—" Hailey was teary-eyed, looking at the gift that Eddy gave her.

"I know what I did back then was wrong of me, and I even know how much these bands meant to you. It was our little tradition to exchange them every year, but it hurt me when you gave me all these bands back. I wanted to give it back to you, but I knew I had to wait for the right time. You know, I still have all those bands you gave me till now. The box also has two extra bands, you know of the past two years." He smiled warmly at her.

Hailey was fond of exchanging bands every year. Those three had a tradition. But after Eddy ditched them, it stopped. After a year, when Eddy parted ways with them and Evy left the school, Hailey returned all the bands to him, which made him realize what kind of jerk he had been to them. Although Evy didn't return them, she left the states, which spoke clearly that Eddy chose the wrong path in school.

"Thank you. It's lovely." And she hugged him. He was shocked at first but returned it soon when he came to his senses.

"No thank you is required. We are friends, after all."

"Nope. Best friends. Just don't ditch me again."

"Never."

She hugged him again but didn't leave before whispering, "Evy will forgive you soon. Just give her some time."

Owen patted him on his back, and Eddy was relieved that at least he got one of his best friends back. Eddy did notice that Evelyn's face was blank during the entire conversation.

"Evy—" He said, but got a déjà vu feeling.

"I am glad that she has forgiven you. I am surprised that you still have those bands, and you even remembered our little tradition." Evy said.

"I also have those bands that you gave me," Eddy said softly.

Evy gave him a firm nod and left. But Eddy was determined to spend the whole carnival with her.

"Will you stop following me? It's annoying." Evy groaned. It's been half an hour, and Eddy's been following her like a lost puppy.

"Nope. I want to spend the whole carnival with you." He said happily.