8

"Students, as the fall break comes upon us you are once again faced with the choice to return home or stay. I think we all have our minds made up." Matt laughed and handed out an essay topic. "I want these done when you guys get back. Adelaide, can I talk to you after class?" Adelaide sighed and looked at her topic. How was she supposed to write an essay on love at first sight? She was staying at the school for spring break so maybe the distractions would be limited. After the bell ran she walked up to Matt's desk. 

"Yes?"

"Because of budget cuts I have assumed the position of counsellor. I've been going through all the students profiles and yours caught my eye." Adelaide was embarrassed and surprised that Matt would have taken on the role of counsellor anyway.

"You have exceptionally high grades especially in the arts department. Maybe you could make an appointment and we could discuss colleges for you?"

"Sure. I'd like that." She grabbed her bag and started to leave.

"If you want to talk about your brothers or your parents I'm here for you Adelaide. Just talking. You don't have to take action if you don't want to." His face was sad and Adelaide knew he had read all of her file not just the report cards.

"Thanks. That means a lot to me. Just having someone to talk to I mean."

"No problem." He smiled.

"Hey Laidy. You going away for the break?" Nathan sat down beside her in the courtyard. After the camping trip she had taken to sitting in the courtyard for lunch, not the cafeteria. She thought it had more scope for the imagination than the old gym with tables. Even so, Nathan had still found her and continued to sit with her even after their awkward encounter on the camping trip.

"No. My older brothers are away on work so I wouldn't have anyway to get there and back to the school."

"Your brothers? What about your parents?" Nathan put his olive green shoulder bag on the table and looked for his history text book.

"My parents died when I was ten. My older brothers enrolled me at boarding schools because they were never home." She said stiffly.

"Oh. Adelaide I had no idea." Nathan looked away, embarrassed. "Well if it makes you feel any better my parents are on a cruise so I can keep you company."

"Thanks Nathan." She smiled weakly. They sat in silence for a while.

"Do you want to, um, talk about it?" Nathan grabbed his tray and started to go back to the cafeteria for seconds.

"Not really."

"Can I get you something from the cafeteria?" He stopped at the door.

"Sure just pick something for me." Adelaide looked at her stack of textbooks. Her teachers had decided for to assign a bunch of big projects for the fall break. She had physics, history, english and a couple of art assignments. She didn't mind but not seeing her brothers but this break was going to bring back painful memories.

Nathan returned with some lemonade and cinnamon rolls.

"What was your essay topic?" Nathan tried making awkward small talk.

"Love at first sight. I have no idea how I'll pull that one off." Adelaide opened her can of lemonade.

"I could help you with it, if you wanted..." Nathan looked at her. He leaned on his elbows on the table, pressing his knees into hers.

"Nathan. I can't do this right now... I'm sorry." She grabbed her books and ran into the school.

'I can't believe it. I had no idea Nathan actually liked me.' Adelaide sat in the art room alone, staring at a blank canvas.