14

Nathan's POV:

"Adelaide please just let me in!" I pounded on her door but I knew she wasn't going to let me in. My phone made a pinging sound and I glanced at it. It was Victoria, who I was not prepared to talk to at the moment. I had tried to get her off my back ever since she came to White Point and she just wasn't getting it. We had gone out in the eighth grade for goodness sake. I went to Chase's room and sat on his bed. He swivelled around from his desk.

"What'd you do now?" He lifted his eyebrow and gave me a look.

"I need your help."

"Let me guess. Girl stuff?" He closed his text book that was on his desk. Chase had three older sisters and he had more experience with girls than I did believe it or not. 

"Yeah. I need to get rid of one girl and keep another."

"Is this involving Adelaide? Her older brother is in town and he can easily beat you to a pulp. I got a good look at him." He grinned.

"Great. I went to go talk to Victoria to tell her to leave me alone and she kissed me and Adelaide saw..."

"Wait, what!? She saw? That's like throwing a grenade up in the air and catching it after pulling the pin. If a girl sees you kissing another girl its like instant betrayal."

"Yeah, I know okay! What am I supposed to do?" I was starting to get mad now. After all I had done to get closer to Adelaide I had just shot myself in the foot? Jennifer walked in and I was as surprised to see her as she was to see me. 

"What are you doing here?" I shot Chase a look. 

"Needed help on some history stuff." She sat on Chase's desk. "So what's up?"

"Nate's having girl issues." 

"Did you hurt Adelaide because then I'd have to kill you." Her gaze suddenly turned to steel and I could tell she was pretty serious.

"No. Victoria kissed me when I was trying to tell her to leave me alone and she saw."

"No problem. I can fix this. Since Victoria can't control herself around you obviously Chase can go talk to her and I'll go talk to Adelaide. Do something really nice for her if she comes around, kay? Like buy her supper or something." Jennifer hopped off the desk and left the room.

"I'm already buying her supper and lunch. For a week." I mumbled. "What's the deal with Jen?" I looked at Chase.

"I'm just helping her study." He shrugged.

"I know for a fact that you don't have history this semester, man. Get a better cover story if you want to keep this a secret." I smirked at him and left the room.

Adelaide's POV:

I had no desire to listen to anything that Nathan, Jennifer or Chase had to say to me. I grabbed the card that Oliver had given me with his phone number on it. I just wanted to escape from campus for a while and relax.

"Hello?" My brother picked up and it sounded like I had just woke him up.

"Hi, Oliver? This is Adelaide. Does that offer for dinner still stand?"

"Yeah, definitely. Let me shower and pick you up in twenty minutes ok?"

"I'll start walking down the road and meet you half way."

"Sounds good. Is everything all right?"

"Yeah, I just want to clear my head." 

"Okay, see you in twenty." We both hung up and I grabbed my bag and snuck out the fire exit. I didn't really want anyone following me or questioning where I was going. I was in enough trouble with Nathan and he didn't need to know where I was. Oliver met me halfway down the road as promised.