10

"Yes, you can come out. I've known you were out there for the last fifteen minutes." Adelaide opened the door and ushered Nathan in.

"Do you wanna watch a movie tonight?" Nathan stuck his hands in his pockets.

"This is the fourth night in a row that you've asked me that. Let's do something else for a change. Black Op's in the lobby?" Adelaide pulled on a hoodie and walked out the door.

"Yeah, sure." Nathan sighed and followed her down the stairs.

"What's up? I know you wanted to come in and talk." She stopped him in the hallway and looked at him.

"My, uh, ex is probably going to show up this week..." He rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably.

"So? If I remember correctly you pledged your undying love for me in the art room even though I rejected you."

"Yeah, I know that, you know that, but she doesn't know that. It might have some... complications."

"Oh. She didn't really get the part where you broke up with her?"

A curly haired red-head walked into the lobby and singled out Nathan right away. She smiled and walked up to him.

"Speak of the devil..." Nathan muttered.

"Nate! I knew you'd be here!" She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him on the cheek.

"Uh, hey Victoria. Why aren't you in New York?" Nathan scooted closer to Adelaide on the couch. She elbowed him as soon as he got closer. 

"It was getting boring. I got kicked out." Victoria rolled her eyes and snapped her gum.

"What!? You got kicked out of the private school in New York?" Nate rubbed his forehead.

"Yeah, I don't really know why. I was probably too pretty for them to handle..." Nathan looked frustrated and his hands curled into tight fists. Adelaide saw that he was ready to explode.

"Actually Nathan, you aren't looking too good. Let's get you up to your room. Bye Victoria!" Adelaide waved cheerfully and pushed Nathan into the elevator.

"Thanks for saving me." Nathan closed his eyes and sat on the floor.

"I meant what I said. You really don't look so good. What's up? Was this one of your famous 'wing it and see what happens' schemes?" She helped him off the floor and walked to her room.

"I think I was the first guy who ever broke up with Victoria. She didn't take it too well."

"You went to a boarding school in New York?"  sat on the bed.

"Uh, yeah in the eighth grade! It doesn't really matter." Nathan fell on the bed and sighed.

"What would you say if I wanted to go out with you?" Adelaide leaned against the wall and looked at his face.

"What!? You would!" Nathan sat up and smiled.

"No, I'm just kidding." She grinned.

"You suck. Since I revealed some of my past I think you should too." Nathan reached for her hand but she pulled away.

"Do we have to talk about this?" She said in a small voice.

"Yes." Nathan looked at her.

"Car accident. My parents were driving. I had asked to go to the mall or something and they were arguing. I saw the whole thing. My parents killed in front of me. Nobody should have to go through that." She sniffled and she turned away from him.

"Laidy that's horrible. I really didn't have any idea." He didn't know how to react.

"My brothers blame it on me. They didn't even see me in the hospital for weeks. It's like I died with my parents in the car accident. My brother, Adam, was a little more forgiving and eventually came around but around my oldest brother, Oliver, he acts just like him. I can only call him at work."

"Hey. Your not totally alone. You have me." He tilted her face up.

"I guess."